FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Marvel oil

Would marvel mystery oil be bad for the clutches if I were to run it for just a short while before draining the current oil out?
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:13 AM

Even though I am a big fan of Marvel, it isn't good for wet clutch applications, since it can change the friction of the plates. If you want to add it somewhere to help things out, roughly 1/2 ounce per gallon of gas is good.
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:24 AM

Here is a link to an independent lab report about the effectiveness of different additives to diesel fuel intended to increase lubricity to the injector pistons. If you scroll down near the bottom of the results you will find that marvel Mystery Oil actually increased the wear.

The reason for adding it to gasoline and its performance may be different. It does have a cool label though.

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

Robin
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Hate to argue a point. Remember that the engine is old. Bearings and the like are worn. Adding a solvent (gas) or solvent based light oil (marvel) to the crankcase of an old motor has no benefit. If your looking to clean the old motor, buy a gallon of Rotella 30 wt diesel oil and change the oil every other ride.

Best yet, remove the side case cover(kick start side) and clean out as much gunk and the oil pick up.
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM

Default clean out the engine

Chip, You have me wondering. Im going to do clutch job on my 62 this weekend You told me to be sure to clean the oilpump screen and I agree. How much gunk and nasty am I likely to encounter? Is it good to use a modern detergent oil in these motors as they will probably dislodge material that might be better left alone
Curt
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM

It is likely that you will find a layer of gunk as thick as 1/8" or more. As far as oil is concerned, I stick with the 30wt Shell Rotilla Diesel Oil. The diesel oil still has a zinc anti scrub additive that protects against surface to surface wear like your rockers directly riding against the cam shaft. Modern automotive oils have very little zinc as the additive clogs the cat converter and the newer valve trains are more advanced than the the engines of yesteryear.

Clean everywhere you can. Clean the oil spinner/filter too. It is likely that you will dislodge some old build up. I would just change the oil every other ride a few times. I have actually changed the oil on my rebuilt engines after every ride just to make sure nothing is wrong. After 3 or 6 changes you will be OK. That's not a rule, but just a suggestion.

Try to steer clear of multi-weight oils in the old air cooled motors. Oil is multi weight because of a wax like additive. The old engines run so hot that the wax additive fails.

I researched all of the above info after I rebuilt a CA95 engine a few years ago and put $10.00 per quart multi-weight motorcycle oil in it. The crank seized. A lesson hard learned.
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM

Default oil

I had rotella 30 wt in my hand the other day and put it back because Wally world only stocked it in gallons here. If i change it every other ride as you say, I might as well get a gallon. I got Castrol straight 30 wt as its what I used 45 years ago.
Curt