FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Default questions about side covers

Are the side covers( (battery and air cleaner covers) for a 1964 ca95 plastic or metal? Will the covrs from the earlier ca95's or the ones from a 305 fit. Also is the knob for these the same as the knob for a ct90.

Robin
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM

I can't answer the metal to plastic side cover progression from hard data. From what I've seen is sometime late 1965 to 1966, CA95's and 1966 forward, CA160's, went to plastic side covers as well as plastic shock bodies. You can use early CA95's metal or replacement plastic ones on your 1964. But as far as I can tell, your 1964 came with metal covers.

No, the 305 covers won't fit and I am pretty sure that the CT90 side cover knobs are too short.
Unread 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
......., went to plastic side covers as well as plastic shock bodies. ........
Does this mean that my bike is supposed to have metal shock bodies? My bike has plastic shock bodies on it now, one good one and the other has a few cracks that I was planning on gluing till I could find somtehing better.

How hard is it to find metal covers and shock bodies?
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM

I can't say why your 64 has plastic shock bodies. Perhaps they were replacements or I could be wrong about the time period that the metal was replaced with plastic. Metal shock bodies are real rare. There is nothing wrong with the plastic shock bodies except that they crack and gouge easily. The metal bodies dent and rust, so 6 of 1 or a 1/2 a dozen of the other i guess.

The plastic bodies are paintable. I have used 2 part primer and acrylic enamel color with a hardner package.
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM

I wouldn't use my bike for any data about what was standard for that year. It has very clearly been striped and repainted at some point. I bought it from an impound auction so it is likely that the previous owner was in the process of rebuilding it. Not sure how the impound auctioner ended up with it but he also had a Yamaha from the same period that he was not selling.

The plastic shock bodis on my 68 and 69 ct90's are all good. They sanded out and buffed up pretty good. I think I can get the plastic bodies on my ca95 to work. The idea of replacing them with metal is appealing from the stand point of being able to send all the metaal out for powder coating. If I have to paint plastic I will probably paint the metal as well.

Has anyone ever made fiberglass shock bodies or side covers?

Robin