FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-19-2011, 05:28 AM

Default Tank deruster

Has anyone used Metal Rescue in their tank and what were the results. I read the ad and it sounds too good to be true. It's called Metal Rescue you have to look at the web site. I'm thinking about getting some and trying it out.

Last edited by ben1942; 02-20-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: More info.
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM

I took my own advice and used Metal Rescue. I thought it was too good to be true but guess what?. The inside of my tank is rust free and my stuck fuel cock works like new, I must have poured out a pound of grey sludge wich is converted rust. I left the fuel cock attached to the tank and when I removed the cup it was full of goo also. But now I can slide it back and forth easily, I replaced the strainer and gasket and that was it. Only one thing I would do if I had to do it again was get either a 5 gallon pail or two one gallon jugs because I had to turn the tank back and forth and upsidedown which was a pain.
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Wow that's a very popular product apparently. I had no experience with the product and I haven't heard of anyone using it until you posted. You lucked out being able to do a clean sweep of your tank and petcock! Interesting stuff I'll have to try it out someday. Thanks for getting back to us on your success. http://www.metalrescue.com/home.aspx
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Default Tank Deruster

I know I sounded like a commercial for the product, but it's true.
Unread 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Admin

The website is funny because it makes claims so wonderful like it's a miracle. I trust you though.
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Theres a picture of restored metal beer cans using the stuff, that looks impossible enough to call Bull#$^@, I often wonder about companies that use some T&A to sell stuff, after all guys don't go to Hooters for their amazing frozen processed chicken wings lol, if it worked for you cool, however thanks to those beer can photos I am pretty skeptical now.
Before and after photos I am on about included...

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-09-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Needed to add photos
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Basically this product is a neutralized acid with a polymer additive. The acid starts at a pH of 6.04 and after it reacts it raises to 6.5 or so. (7.0 being neutral) The polymer in the product attaches itself to the free iron oxide in solution and forms into a sludge like material. That's why the girlies can put their hands in it. I know for a fact that it will dry the skin to cracking, so they were washing their hands as soon as the camera stopped. I buy hundreds of gallons of the same material for a production process that rusts cast iron and needs to be derusted. This science is only a few years old.

Last edited by Spokes; 05-09-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:40 PM

I always use this stuff on rusty tanks.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/cleanin...tch-68294.html

Let it sit for a day or two, flush it out, and your tank will look brand spankin new!
Unread 05-14-2011, 06:26 AM

What does it do if you get it on the paint? Do you have to take the shutoff off the tank?
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Always protect the paint when dealing with acids. I would coat the paint with vasoline or the like. Always take the aluminum petcock off of the tank. Acid eats aluminim fast.
Unread 05-14-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Always protect the paint when dealing with acids. I would coat the paint with vasoline or the like. Always take the aluminum petcock off of the tank. Acid eats aluminim fast.
Wish i would have seen this statement before i did my tank. You're 100% right. it at up the petcock...47 years old destroyed in 2 minutes. I am so piss at myself!!!
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Admin

Oooo nice call on the strip-dip we can just grab at a local Home Jippo