FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Bent gearshift lever

My first problem.

I found I have a bent gearshift lever (picture 1). It was very hard getting the left cover off. I removed the right crankcase cover, clutch pack, outer clutch, circlip and washer. Should the gearshift lever pull straight out now. ( picture 2 )

Something a bit odd. Look how clean the inside is. I was expecting black tar when I pulled the crankcase cover. Picture #3
Thanks in advance, Ranchman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bent spindle.jpg (103.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Gearshift spindle.JPG (313.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Too clean.JPG (295.8 KB, 15 views)
Unread 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Yes, it should pull straight out. The engine is strangely clean. A wild guess is that someone rebuilt the engine and it fell off the bench, bending the shifter. Is that a weld I see behind the shift arm? If so, find a donor engine and harvest the case and shift arm. The engine parts from 64 & 65 are interchangable. The tranny gears from the earlier years work. My "Build from Scratch" project engine is made up of:

64 Bottom end
65 Top end
62 Cylinder
62 Tranny gears
64 head
62 pistons.....it runs pretty nice. Honed the cylinders with a brake hone. Fine sanded the head on a flat surface, lapped the valves, threw in some new rings & gaskets...
Unread 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Thank you spokes,

I think it's being a pain because it's bent. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I looked no weld. I think the background is out of focus.
I'm thinking your right it's been rebuilt. The clutches look new also. Funny it was rebuilt then sat for all those years.

Ranchman
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hmm yes that's bent.

=]

You are lucky that sucker is so clean. And the gasket came apart just like that? Yeah it's been well cared for. I wonder if I have a shift shaft laying around...
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:29 AM

Rancher , if it was my motor ,I'd slip a piece of pipe over the shaft and slowly bend it back in shape . The shaft is supported at both sides of the case .
Unread 08-03-2012, 04:05 AM

I too have straightened a shift lever and kick start lever (CT90) with good results. Just be careful to not bugger the splines. I applied a little heat as well. IF the bike had been laid down as mine was inspect the cover for cracks around the seal boss too.
I'd bet Spokes could shake a box with spare parts in it and a perfect engine would fall right out- I just love that guy- in strictly bromance kind of way.
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Admin

Here is my spare here. Straight as an arrow. The splines show some wear although the shifter slides on and off good. $23 shipped. You can see the chain flew off and it damaged the clutch actuator rod. That's how this engine was decommissioned.

Unread 08-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Smithers I'll take that deal. Let me know where to send $$. I'll be replacing the shaft seal. If you or anyone has a favorite place for CA95 seals please let me know.

Thanks, Ranchman
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
Rancher , if it was my motor ,I'd slip a piece of pipe over the shaft and slowly bend it back in shape . The shaft is supported at both sides of the case .
Thanks Kartgreen and Larzfromarz that's what I ended up doing to get it out. It has a s bend in it. So I'm going for a straight one from smithers.
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Admin

The shaft is yours. I just pick up seal kits on Ebay as I have found them pretty cheap. And we always end up needing the kick starter seal as well so they add up FAST when you need them one by one. A kit can be found for 10-$20.