FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM

Default Gasoline

I've been using non-ethel gas in my 69 CA160. What's the general opinion on the type of gas to use, or does it make a difference as long as it doesn't sit for too long?
Unread 11-23-2014, 05:22 AM

I run medium grade gas, with or without ethanol and add a small amount of lead replacement additive. I add some Stabil (sp) fuel preservative as well. I really don't think the type of fuel makes a difference. I add the goodies to the gas because I may only use 3- 5 gallons per year.

Last edited by Spokes; 11-23-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Unread 11-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hopefully your "on/off" petcock still works ok. If not just get an aftermarket on/off switch on eBay there are tons of them. When you are done with the bike just shut the petcock down and run it a minute or two to empty the carb bowl. If I don't do this on my dirt bikes these days the fuel goes bad quickly enough to make me drain the bowl in about 3-4 weeks if one sits that long. The problem is the dirt bikes tanks (and vintage bike tanks) aren't sealed tight like newer streetbikes and cars are. I would just use a fuel treatment like Lucas Oil brand (called safeguard ethanol fuel conditioner - a cap full per tank) and cut the fuel on your last minute of riding home. Then when I want to fire up a bike or lawn mower etc. I just turn the fuel on, add some fuel and away I go. That's how I have to do things around here in CA.
Unread 11-28-2014, 04:09 PM

I also turn my petcock off and wasn't worried as much about the gas sitting as I was the ethanol mixture. My understanding is that it doesn't like gas lines and other rubber items that much and that it burns hotter. I did take the advise and got some lead additive.