FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff

Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff Other motorcycle related stuff and some pictures.

Unread 02-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default The Cannondale X440 Dirt Bike

Now THIS is one interesting motorcycle. I've seen pictures in motorcycle magazines and descriptions of this Cannondale motocross bike such as: "way ahead of it's time" and "bike from the future". It sure is. Just for fun I'll be throwing together some information and pictures of the X440 I've collected.

This particular bike came up for auction today at a local auction house and it sold for some pretty good money to someone that seemed like he actually bought it to ride it. A limited production bike in such new condition such as this example deserves to be put on display or at least stored for another 10 years until it does become a collectors item.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-18-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
This particular bike came up for auction today at a local auction house and it sold for some pretty good money to someone that seemed like he actually bought it to ride it. A limited production bike in such new condition such as this example deserves to be put on display or at least stored for another 10 years until it does become a collectors item.
It's just a dirt bike, Ryan. Built to be ridden. Future generations can simply look at your pictures. Seriously though, I've never heard of this bike before. Looks nice - for a dirt bike.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Admin

The Cannondale dirtbike I saw this weekend had the original tires on it and sold for $2,400. There are numerous reasons why this dirt bike is a huge step forward in dirt bike engineering.
  • It has the intake facing forward and the exhaust facing rearward 10 years before Yamaha executed this "revolutionary" design.
  • The first fuel injection production dirt bike.
  • Aluminum frame construction.
  • Electric start only, lightweight, minus the kickstarter and it's hardware.
  • Ohlins suspension which is a huge leap forward in valving, hardware in general throughout, serviceability and tunability.
  • The engine has it's own crank case oil separate from the transmission.
  • Link-less rear suspension which is lightweight but never came to have better performance than the full link rear setup.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-18-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
The Cannondale dirtbike I saw this weekend had the original tires on it and sold for $2,400. There are numerous reasons why this dirt bike is a huge step forward in dirt bike engineering.
  • It has the intake facing forward and the exhaust facing rearward 10 years before Yamaha executed this "revolutionary" design.
  • The first fuel injection production dirt bike.
  • Aluminum frame construction.
  • Electric start only, lightweight, minus the kickstarter and it's hardware.
  • Ohlins suspension which is a huge leap forward in valving, hardware in general throughout, serviceability and tunability.
  • The engine has it's own crank case oil separate from the transmission.
  • Link-less rear suspension which is lightweight but never came to have better performance than the full link rear setup.
Ride 'em, don't hide 'em.

Sounds like $2400 was a steal.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Admin

Well it's not exactly $2,400. It's that PLUS like %15 buyers premium and then DMV tax and fees on top of that. It adds up! But if you're gonna use it then it's worth it. Or if you have too much money laying around then it's a neat collectors bike if you are into motorcycles. I would just ride it to freak people out with a bike they've never seen or heard of. The smarter buyer would get a much newer Honda type 450 or KTM for that kind of money.

Unread 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Admin

Chain on the right side is freakin me out.