FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Default leaking carb

I have my 63 CA95 running pretty well but now I have a seriously leaking carb via the overflow tube. I checked everything I can think of. Mainly adjusting the float. I either have it cutting off all the gas or the thing is leaking like crazy. I finally, at the suggestion of my son, checked the float itself and low and behold it has gas in it so must have a leak. Seems like this would cause the carb to leak out of the overflow tube. Is this the likely cause?

Also, I noticed a thread on using a newer carb for a CA95. Wondering if anyone ever figured out a carb that can be used/adapted for a CA95? My son works at Treats, a moped parts store and he has access to many, many carbs.

Thanks,

Ed Caldwell
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Three things cause these old carbs to overflow gas.
1. Incorrect float adjustment
2. Bad float
3. Bad fuel inlet. This is the small needle valve that opens once the float drops to allow more gas in the carb.

Most likely it is bad float adjustment.

The good news is that the fuel inlet valve is still available from Honda, the float adjustment can be found on downloaded CA95 manual or from a forum member.

Chances are the float is good, but if not, new ones are available from ebay. My quick & dirty float test is to weigh the float down and place in in a jar of gas (with a lid) (Use caution using gas) and fill the jar submirging the float in fuel. It should be like a bobber. If it sinks...bad float

I have used aftermarket carbs with limited success. Not to say it can't be done. Maybe a guru of Mopeds can lead the way. It always a challenge to revive the old carbs.
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

But if the float has gas inside it, as you mention in the first post, the float is shot and you've likely found the cause of your issue. If you shake the float and there is fluid sloshing around, that's bad.

If that's is indeed true, the float needs to be replaced. New floats are readily available online from $13 to $25.
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM

Sunk float will cause overflow every time. I've seen floats for as little a $10.
You could try to solder the float but it really isn't worth it.
Post here again if you have big trouble finding one
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Well it was a leaky float. I drilled a hole, drained the gas and resoldered it and were back to normal. I'll probably get a new one but it's working fine now so that was definitely the problem. It was real easy draining and resoldering, not shure how permanent it is but I'll try it for a while to see if it holds.

Well one thin fixed and now I have some kind of short or something happening in my headlight. With it all hooked up, when I have the engine running and when I turn on the lights it kills the engine. Man I get one thing fixed and another comes up. I think it might be in the handle switch for low/hi/off so will check that.

One of these days I'll get a photo of her up.

Thanks for everyones help. Like many don't know what I'd do without this forum. Probably be bald by now.

Ed
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Carb all good now with a new float not drop even with the pet cock left on. Bike seems to be running rich though. What are the steps to lean a carb short of a main jet which seem impossible to find?

Thanks for any relpies in advance.

Ed
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:47 AM

Be sure your float height is good. There should be no reason to change jets from the factory unless you are in Denver.