FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Tire & Suspension Talk

Tire & Suspension Talk The most important handling aspect of every vehicle...

Unread 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default New Tires! Goodyear Silent Armor with Kevlar

Well I went and bit the bullet and bought a set of some of the best DOT tires that I could buy. These are the Goodyear Kevlar Wrangler tires that they advertise are the best tires for the road that they make. Since I bought the perfect Walker Evans beadlock wheels I thought I might as well throw on the best rubber I could get. I knew they would be more quiet than my BFG Muds but I wasn't prepared for HOW quiet they really are. It took a while to get used to driving down the road without any tire-road noise at all. It's creepy. But the more I drive it the more I am really happy without the road noise from the mud terrain tires. And let me tell you they REALLY REALLY hook up well on the pavement. It's such a huge improvement over the muds I was really shocked. I really have to rev up the V8 engine to get them to break loose. My BFG tires I would easily just romp on the gas and break them loose no problem. I though since a lot of people are interested in these tires that I would put out the good word on them. Have a look for yourself.

Unread 11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Admin

These Silent Armor tires are LT285/70R17. And honestly I was interested in the super snow rating that they got. They are some of the highest snow rated tires you can buy and I hope to get away to the snow one of these days and go play around. But seeing how I'm putting a rollcage in it now it doesn't look like I'll be up boarding anytime soon. :`(

The 17" rims really show their size next to my older 16"s that I had on the truck before. And the BFG's weren't exactly worn out either. I probably have 25% left on the muds. Those BFG's really lasted a super long time. On Toyotas tires last forever.

Unread 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Admin

And here we are all fitted up. They are a great safety upgrade as well. The truck is really too fast and having the extra sticky tires is exactly what it needed. Offroad these tires have worked just as good as the muds no problem. I went and made a u-turn in some really slippery shallow mud and they threw up mud ALL over the place. Mud was flying everywhere and I was just easily turning around to the side of the road. I was out at the dunes for a day as well and they did just fine. I can't compare them to the muds because I haven't been back out to the sand with the muds since I put in the Lexus V8 engine. Whenever I hit the gas now the wheels just spin and lose traction but it's not because of the tires lack of traction... it's cause I need paddles! And NO I didn't have my 4WD working in the sand since I didn't have my driveline in. So with 4wd I'm sure I can go anywhere with the Silent Armor tires just like I did with the Mud Terrain tires. The truck is really light so having big mud tires just isn't necessary for the kind of wheeling I'm doing. The only reason I would want big tires is for rock crawling and when I go to do that I'll be in my buddies crawler!

Last edited by Smithers; 11-29-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Admin

Now would I buy these tires again? Well yeah I think I would have to since they make the exact tire size I want for these wheels. Hankook makes an awesome tire for the money but if I have to get some quality tires it's either going to be BFG or Goodyear. And the Goodyears are made in the USA which makes you feel better since they cost so much. That's another question I get. I got them for 1200 for the set after tax and put them on myself.

And then I saw my friend just went to WalMart and bought some Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires. Man I didn't know what to think because he got them SO cheap and they look pretty awesome. They don't make them in my size but if they did I would have bought them in a heartbeat. You can't beat these tires for the money... no way. Check out some picks and chatter on the Ih8mud forum. And if you want to see a LOT of pictures of them go to Google and use their image lookup search or just click here and this link will take you there.

You can thank me later. I'll be putting them to the test more in the future for sure so I'll be posting more here when I get to that point. For now I can't think of a better tire for me than the Goodyear Kevlar Silent Armors... they aren't full race or super mud crawling tires but honestly this truck will be on the road much more than the trail. I'll be keeping my rims with the muds on them for that dirty stuff and I have some paddles here on permanent load so it's all good.

Last edited by Smithers; 11-29-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Admin

I spoke with a local gentleman who works for law enforcement. I noticed that he had Wrangler Kevlar tires on his Chevy truck as well and pointed it out to him. He was very enthusiastic about the tires and said they had laster 60,000 miles so far. They still looked great. Yeah they weren't new looking but I estimate that they had 25% tread left on them which is amazing being they were fitted to a full size extended cab Chevy with a camper shell. I mentioned that I had only seen these tires on ambulances and Sheriff SUV's and, of course, he chose those tires based on their performance on law enforcement vehicles he had driven. I have a feeling that I won't see mine wear down for a long, long long time.