FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-16-2011, 10:42 PM

Default Spoke finish

New to the forum and taking apart a CA95 '64. Going to look into rechroming the rims or getting new.......any thoughts? Also what are the spokes finished with........paint? After read some of the forum it looks like rebuilding might be a bigger job than I expected.
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:36 AM

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.
The finish on the spokes when new is a form of galvanising.
With time it gets thin and rust sets in.
If you rebuild your wheels, go for stainless steel spokes, a little more expensive but they will never go rusty again.

Sam.
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM

As much as most asian stuff for these bikes are crap, I have purchased chrome plated spokes and new rims from asia and relaced polished hubs with much success.

The secret is finding someone to true the wheel to the right specs. make sure to take measurements of your wheel flat on a bench from both sides. Also make sure you mark which spoke goes where and note you have inner and outer spokes. Include the measurements when you send the wheel for truing.
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Default plating spokes

These spokes on the ca95 like most japanese bikes of the era were zinc plated. You can take your spokes to a plater and have this done. Commercial or white zinc is what they probably used at the time. Its not really expensive to do they price by weight so bring in alot of parts. I rezinc all my spokes and rarely buy new ones.
Unread 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm also in the process of restoring a 1965 CA 95 and found chrome plating of the factory wheels to be very expensive as well as the spokes .
Here in the states ,Buchann Spoke and Wheel is a good source for new spokes and nipples in steel and stainless steel . In my search for rims, 16"x 36hole are impossible to find in the states and I didn't want the cheap asian rims .
I bought a set of Morad ( Akront ) S type alloy rims from Central Wheel Components in Great Britian . They also furnished polished ss spokes and nipples . Had to give them the spoke length and dia. Rims ,spokes ,nipples and Fed X shipping came to $502.00 US. Yes thats a lot of money but 3 seperate chrome shops locally gave me estimates of $ 375 to$425 to replate my factory rims .
CWC was easy to work with and they also have a factory style rim in stainless at a reasonable price .
If you want a stock(factory), look,then zink plating is the way to go but for a few dollars more ss spokes would look good and last forever .