FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Buco Saddlebags Repair and Help Topics

Unread 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Retro Fit Buco Twinmaster Bag Lights

You don't have to hope to find old usable Buco saddlebag lights. With a little imagination and technique you can build your own.
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM

How??!?! I want to do this too.

1995 Ducati M900
1995 Ducati 900SS
1997 Ducati 748S
2010 Ducati 1198S

2003 Toyota Tundra Long Travel Baja race truck
Unread 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM

The next set I build I will do a pic & procedure along with how to build the hold down bracket.
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:53 PM

HEY I NEED SOME OF THOSE FOR MY BAGS!!!!! Did you make them??? Where did you find the lenses? Hmm.... maybe I can talk someone into making some for me..... for a price????
Unread 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Thank you Chip....

Thanks for the help with my lense hunt. Although I did not find them at autozone, I did find them at my local Napa Auto Store. They fit like a "dream".

Kellie
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Hi, new to the site, looking to customize as set of Buco bags, to fit my 2003 Drifter.
Where did you find the lens, lights, latches hinges etc.
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Buco / alternate fit lights

Hey guys, thanks for all of the info, I did find lights at local Advanced Auto parts house, they have red and orange bullet lens and come with black base plate and mounting bracket already made, single filament light which is what I wanted but could be made to dual if someone else wanted that, $3.19 each what a steel. Ordering latched with keys and hinges now.

thanks again for all input
Unread 07-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Cool! Now here is the way to make the lights into "Buco Lights"

1.) Remove the lens and wiring.
Use a disc grinder wheel on a dremmel tool, carefully gring the "flange" off the "L" bracket and remove it. The bulb socket will be released as well.

(at this point you can paint the metal body with chrome paint, leave it black or have it plated.)

2.) Go to the big box hardware store and buy "Lamp Nipples" which is the hollow threaded tubes that hold lamp sockets in place. I try to get 1-1/2" length. A little longer is no problem.

3.) Buy the nuts and washers that go with the lamp nipples (3 nuts, 2 flat washers and 1 lock washer per light)

Assembly: Per light unit.

Using JB weld, glue one nut at the very end of one nipple flush. Wipe off excess epoxy and allow to cure.

While the epoxy is curing, with a rat tail file, open the end of the light socket to the diameter of the lamp nipple (you will need to push the nipple through it.) You do not need to do anything to the light body.

When the epoxied nut and nipple are cured, file or grind off the nut corners to nearly round. The nut/nipple assembly will fit into the bulb socket and through the light body. (Note: you may have to file the face of the nut to make it thinner if the bulb is hard to push in and twist)

Attach the light socket to the body with a nut and washer.

Drill out the original "U" bracket to the diameter of the pipe nipple and mount the light. Use the remaining nut, flat & lock washer to secure the light to the bracket.

You may have to bend and drill new "U" bracket if you don't have an original.

Use a electrical connector over the nipple to ground the light.