FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-19-2011, 12:39 AM

Default two bolt gas tank question

My 1964 ca 95 has a two bolt gas tank and it is in questionalble condition. I have been looking for a relacement and it seems like the two bolt ca 95 tanks are a bit hard to find. Did the 305 ever come with a two bolt tank with the petcock on the left?

Any one have a two bolt tank that they are willing to part with?

Robin
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

How questionable is it? Just about every one of these old bikes needs their fuel tanks cleaned out, reconditioned, primed and painted. The only thing that would keep me from using one is sever rust.
Unread 03-19-2011, 12:28 PM

The inside was coated with something but it has a "flaky aperance so to even asses what kind of shape the inside is in I will have to remove what ever coating the PO used.

The botom of the tank as had a piece of steel brazed on as a patch on each side there is currently no hole or opening for a petcock ( I am assuming the PO was going to add an inline petcock from one of the cross line openings). I have an original rebuidable petcock and like the idea of having a reserve.

When the tank was brazed there was enough heat distortion to partialy collapse one side by about 1//8" and that has been filled with bondo. The effect of the collapse is that it bowed out the side so that the chrome panel dosen't fit.

If I have to I will deal with the tank I have but the heat distortion is a huge can of worms and I would like the option of having a second tank to try and restore or possible even use for parts to cut and weld into my tank.

Anyone know if the 305 ever used a two bolt tank mount with the petcock on the left?

Robin