View Single Post
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:27 AM

Well here is what I did today:

"Remove the lobe collar on the spark advance mechanism and rotate it 180 degrees" this seems to be a good idea as it was quite dirty and needed a good cleaning anyways. Plus I think it was not correct in the first place because when I tried to adjust the timing by rotating the plate with the points, the lobe was nowhere near the "begining to close" zone, more like the opening area. But still a no go.

1.)Valve lash and clearances were adjusted yesterday...

2.)Made sure that the green wire going to the condenser has not rubbed through and grounding out, I even trimmed it a bit and expose new clean copper to be sure. But still a no go.

3.)Checked the alignment of crankshaft timing with the camshaft, they both align at 12 oclock.But still a no go.

I put gas in, tried both starter with charged battery with charger on 10 amps in addition, tried the kick start, last resort: I went out and pushed it in 2nd gear for about 1,000 feet (not fun in the Florida summer), and still nothing, not a sput, spat or spit, zilch.

What perplexes me - and I think I need to focus there - is that there is a spark at the plugs and at the points, but it is not consistent, and not a strong one, I see it but I don't hear it. When I tested my coil, I got 1.8-1.9 ohms at the leads. Maybe it is not enough to get a hot spark?

Also, the starter motor runs strong the first 2-3 seconds then slows down a bit, and the red wire (with fuse) at the battery tends to warm up a bit. I disconnected, cleaned and reconnected the battery wires, but none of it helped. The motor has new brushes...

I am getting frustrated now, but I don't give up yet...
One thing I will try later it check the compression in the cylinders. It feels strong, even a little compression should make the engine run or sputter a bit if everything else works....

Of course I'll take any suggestions to try anything....