FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Technology & Electronics

Unread 03-24-2013, 06:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake
Default 1973 Micronta Auto Tune-up Analyzer

A friend's father recently passed away, leaving him a home to clean up that looks straight out of a "Hoarders" reality show. There were no vintage motorcycles tucked away, unfortunately, but I did agree to take a 1973 vintage Micronta (Radio Shack) Auto Tune-up Analyzer.

This unit is a typical dwell/tech/vollts/amps meter of the era, with a steel case painted in a ripple-finish black paint. There isn't a spec of dust or a scratch anywhere, and the kit appears to be complete. I haven't tested the volt meter yet, but may do so just to see if it still works. The manual includes tune-up specs for cars 1961 - 1972.

I don't have any cars that use breaker point ignition systems, but I think I'll hold onto this tool in case that changes.

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:36 AM

You'd think there would be a simple circuit or conversion to be able to use with a 2 cylinder. I began by handing tools to my dad and he built up a nice little home shop.I remember him saving his cigarette money so he could buy the Craftsman version of the same device. Dad carefully crafted a complete tool box and roll around "diagnostic" center that held the meter. He made everything from wood and painted it up like the Craftsman tools boxes of the day (early 70's). Bottom cabinet has something like 13 drawers all lined with styrofoam cut outs to hold the tools. It's how he'd always know his son absconded with something. It all sits in his garage today.
Anyway you'd think you could use these devices on our old bikes and if careful you probably can (is it some factor of the 8 cyl scale)- but you still need the specs for whatever you are testing. Cool post, brings some memories.
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I passed up on a similar unit that was marketed as "a portable mechanic tool". It was basically the same thing but it was oriented in a vertical fashion and it had a handle on one end. There was a hand illustrated picture on the box of a mechanic under the hood of a car with the box handing around his side. Made me laugh. I couldn't bring myself to put it my collection. I still know where it is if anyone wants it.
Unread 11-25-2015, 03:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

A few people have found this post from doing an internet search and have asked me for a scanned copy of the operator's manual. It's a big download, but the link is below:

http://www.forths.com/Micronta%20Aut...g%20Manual.pdf