FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM

Default Front brake questions?

I got the rear brake all hooked up and it works great, if i mash on the peddle it will lock up the wheel no problem. However, when i pull the brake lever to the handle bar it is so soft i can easily push the bike forward. Everything seems to be set up properly, but i noticed the brake arm hardly moves at all when i pull the brake lever on the handle bar. What am i missing? I thought it might be because i had the brake arms switched, so i put the shorter on on the front and no change. The cable seems to be adjusted correctly, as soon as you pull the lever it will engage the brake it just doesn't do much.

Last edited by doc_rot; 02-27-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Try reclocking the arm on the splined shaft to get the brake shoes closer to the brake drum .
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Any chance we can get some pictures of the front brake or hub? How have you adjusted the brake? Again, a picture would help there.
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:49 AM

Ill be able to get some photos up here next week. Thanks for the quick replies.
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:10 AM

ok heres some pics.
Im not real familiar with drum brakes. what is going on here? I thought it was grease that maybe got in there somehow but i cleaned it twice with no change. Its the same on both shoes.

I was never able to track down the bushing for the brake plate, so i stacked 3 sealed bearings in there and spaced it with a washer on the inside. Seems to work well. When torqued down the wheel spins easily.

I was trying the smaller brake arm on there to see if i had mismatched the arms. Im still missing the spring on the adjuster but i don't think that would make a real difference. in this photo the brake is adjusted so it is a hair from rubbing, with extra slack taken out at the top the brake lever is firm, however it doesn't seem to move the brake arm very much at all. cables are lubed as is the brake cam. What am i missing here? As far as im concerned the FSM is a joke, help me out here guys!

Last edited by doc_rot; 03-06-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Unread 03-06-2014, 01:53 AM

The front shoe "discoloration" is actually the contact points of the shoe to the drum. The front brake has yet to be fully engaged.

The front "bushing" is a cap that fits into the hub. There should be a round felt wick inside the hub.

The brake arm is not mounted in the correct position. You have it at 6 o'clock and it should be at 8 o'clock
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:17 AM

Have you mixed up the front and rear brake arms. The front is longer at about 3.5 inch between centres. Did it myself back brake would lock up and front rubbish. Took me two years to work it out.

I later got a conventional brake cable rather than the 90 degree bend at the top and abandoned originality in favour of better braking.

Nige
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:50 PM

I agree with Chip , You don't currently have enough lever travel to engage the brakes fully . . Also , see if you have an old time brake shop in your area . If they can turn drum brakes they should also be able to grind your brake shoes to give you a more fuller contact area . Right now your using very little of the brake shoe surface . Grinding the brake shoes will remove material from the high spot allowing more of the shoe to contact the drum .
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Hey Doc,

Nice lookin wheel there...the black hub and rim look sweet!

I've attached a pic of my front wheel and you can see the difference in the brake arm and position...

Cheers,
Kev.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C92_front wheel.jpg (137.2 KB, 9 views)
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
The front "bushing" is a cap that fits into the hub. There should be a round felt wick inside the hub.
I assume this felt washer thing is what you are talking about. It looks like it goes on the outside of the hub in the parts diagram i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige1100s View Post
Have you mixed up the front and rear brake arms. The front is longer at about 3.5 inch between centres. Did it myself back brake would lock up and front rubbish. Took me two years to work it out.

I later got a conventional brake cable rather than the 90 degree bend at the top and abandoned originality in favour of better braking.

Nige
I had them switched at the time i took the pictures. I put the longer brake arm (3.5") back on there and positioned it as far out as it would go and still allow me to thread the adjusting nut. still seems not far enough out. When i pull the level it moves the brake arm less than a half inch, where as the rear brake arm moves a good inch. Im starting to think i have the wrong brake cable. Nige - do you remember what conventional brake cable you got as a replacement? this thing is already so hacked up and bastardized i don't see the point in trying to keep it stock any more.

Heres a photo of the shoes as well, just in case i screwed up something here.

Unread 03-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Yes, you have the right parts for the front wheel. Oil the felt with light oil like 3 in 1 before installing it.

I think you may not have the right front brake cable. One of the challenges we face with the old Honda's is getting the right cables. The Thailand cables are the worst for wear & fit. Personally, I scan eBay all of the time for old new stock and good used cables from American sellers like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CA95-C...3e2589&vxp=mtr

I have also resorted to buying longer cables and fitting them myself.
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Sorry doc I searched through a pile of unmarked cables in a bike shop years ago. It's a bit long but had the right free length I can measure it if you want. Like the black hubs btw
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:57 PM

ok i bought that cable Spokes. will let you guys know how it works out once i have it.