FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Default Barnly update

Since the other forum won't reset my password, and I seem to get more specific information here, I figured I'd post an update. I just finished laying the color today. Have to do a little wet sanding once the paint cures, then enough clear as I can stand, then reassemble.

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr

It won't be a 20 footer, and it probably won't be a 10 footer. But it won't be much better than an 8 footer, based on my abilities with a paint gun.

A friend tried his skills at metalwork and did a whole lot better than I could:

Mocking up the color:

The rest of the pieces as they sit today:

Unread 08-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Man I could have saved you all of that trouble and sold you my Red 160.
I am really diggin the engine look, let us know how/what you did and if it holds up well.
You aren't far off now and you'll be posting finished pics real soon-
'Another one saved from rust'
( to the tune of "Another One Bites the Dust"-Queen-1980).
L
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Bike is looking sweet! Love the blacked out engine.

Couple questions for you. What tires did you go with, cokers? What are you using for a paint gun and compressor?

I'm in the body work stage and have been quoted $400 to $600 to just spray the bike. So im thinking I can buy some tools and spray it myself for less, maybe?
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Engine paint is flat black exhaust header pain from VHT(?), the tires are generic "Golden Boy Radial Tire" Shinko SR241 things I bought from Motorcycle Superstore and..well..whitewall tire paint. I mounted the tires by the axle and went to town with a brush. A week later I cleaned up one with an Xacto and I haven't gotten around to cleaning up the other one. It's anybody's guess how they'll age, but for $100 total investment, I'm just happy they're round and not black.

I figger I've got $300 in paint and consumables (ignoring the $400 Craigslist Aircompressor I ran out and bought bacause polishing aluminum killed my old one. )

I've got a 220v Craftsman that I don't think had ever been assembled correctly, based on the amount of oil it was pumping down the hose. I rebuilt the pump, bought a dessicant/moister seperator from Harbor Freight, new hose, and a HF HVLP paint gun that works pretty good when you actually clean the bugger out.

Like many things in life, I'll figure out how to paint well, just as I'm finishing up the bike. Maybe I'll look for a scrambler next.

Last edited by Rocketsled; 08-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavs4X4 View Post
I'm in the body work stage and have been quoted $400 to $600 to just spray the bike. So im thinking I can buy some tools and spray it myself for less, maybe?
Check out all of my builds in my album. All painted with:

$99.00 Compressor, $6.99 In-Line Air Drier, $17.00 Harbor Freight Touch up gun.

Two Part Acrylic enamel from eBay or your local NAPA Dealer or Body Supply Shop.

2 Part Primer or rattle can primer. Medium Speed Reducer if your painting above 80F or Fast Reducer if your painting under 80f.

Nothin to it...
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:53 PM

I used Duplicolor Paint Shop paints since it was my first 'real' paintjob. If I'd had my druthers, it'd be Windsor White with Red, but Duplicolor didn't have it, and I was taking a pretty big leap with no outside help as it is.

But your results are STELLAR. I'm liking those saddlebags, but that's not what this bike's for. I've got a couple of boy's that'll be 11 by the time the bike's together and it'll be the one they cut their teeth on. I learned on a Trail 110 and this bike kinda fell into my lap for a song ($200). So...go through it and restore it because I needed a winter project, but don't get too invested in it, cuz, you know...boys.

Last edited by Rocketsled; 08-12-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:52 PM

I am curious who the[i]other[i] website is. Is it Hondatwins? I am interested in any resource out there. Hondatwins has very interesting content.
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverinomeiste View Post
I am curious who the[i]other[i] website is. Is it Hondatwins? I am interested in any resource out there. Hondatwins has very interesting content.
Yup. Tried twice to get my password reset, never got the email...it's not the mail subsystem, IIRC something else successfully emailed me. I suspect the guy that admins the forum moved on to other things.
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:45 PM

I successfully rest my PW at HondaTwins.net just the other day. So it's working...
L
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
I successfully rest my PW at HondaTwins.net just the other day. So it's working...
L
I'll give it another shot...
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Must be my account...I still don't receive the password email.
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:05 AM

I posted contact email addy for their addmin the other day but it seems to have vanished, here it is again if it is of any help.

contact [email protected] for technical issues

Sam.
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:08 AM

I can see it this time so I know I did post it.

I had not used that forum for many years and had to re register, that was where the contact details came from.

Sam.
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM

One thing's for sure, the lessons I've learned on THIS paintjob mean the next one will be GREAT. This one will be just 'okay'...which is ideal for a kid trainer.

Unread 08-19-2013, 06:39 AM

Looks good to me! Did you color sand the paint and buff?