FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake
Default Before and After

I thought I'd share the before and after pics of my CA95 restoration project. With this project I really focused on the 'C95' general export model as my inspiration, so I added the wiring harness and turn signals from that model, in addition to the right-hand turn signal switch.

I obviously added some 'personalization', too. The 'Honda' logos on the side covers are aftermarket replicas of the logos on the '65 Honda S500 roadster car. The '150' badges are aftermarket, too. I took Spokes' idea and used self-adhesive door trim to add chrome accents to the fenders and side covers. I drilled and re-tapped threads for every grease fitting, so the grease fittings are modern metric fittings that actually fit a grease gun.

Unread 09-16-2012, 04:20 PM

Very nice! It is an absolute pleasure to see the before & after pics. Congrats on a job well done!
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:31 AM

Beautiful job..simply beautiful...very well done!
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM

BeauTiful, great job and i just love to see those oem winkers on these bikes
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM

What an inspiration!
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:27 AM

Nice montage, what music should I be playing in my head?
The bike is awesome BTL. Just in time for nicer weather...
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
Nice montage, what music should I be playing in my head?
The bike is awesome BTL. Just in time for nicer weather...
Yeah, the riding season is just about done here in Northern Michigan. 54 degrees today, with gale-force winds. I put 30 miles on the Benly today, with sleet biting into my face at times.
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM

ByTheLake: Good gosh, I went riding on my '63 Benly for 10 miles or so as well. 65deg this a.m. and 85deg this afternoon.....oh, forgot, this is central Texas hill country. Ride was really nice.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:31 AM

Holy wow! Awesome job.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Yea I agree. This shows what can happen with some time and elbow grease. The pictures on the right are what guys like us actually see in our minds when we come across junky old bikes rotting away!
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM

super nice job,hope my 63c looks half that good.love those pipes,just ordered a set myself
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Sweeeeet
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Absolutely stunning job BTL!

Couple of questions re your exhausts. I've got the same or similar TT style exhausts and I'm wondering if you ran into clearance problems between the kick starter and the muffler expansion chamber. If I set the right hand exhaust with the same clearances as the left it hits the kick starter. To get it to miss I have to set it quite close the frame and rear axle nut, clearance issues made worse because the TT style doesn't have the recess that the original exhaust had.....did you have the same issues?

Also, what type of packing did you use between the header pipe and exhaust? Yours looks really clean whereas I used the bright orange external slide joint type (which has already split on the bottom )

Thanks,
Kev.
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:27 AM

I like the style of these mufflers, but as with any non-OEM parts, there were some trade-offs.

My memory isn't as good as it once was, but I don't recall having clearance issues with the kick starter. I do recall adjusting the clearance a bit, however. Viewed from the rear, the right exhaust is somewhat closer to the frame than the left, so perhaps I adjusted it that way to avoid the kick starter lever. I just don't remember.

When I bought the mufflers, the only baffles I could find at the time were tiny - 4 inches long, so the bike can be a bit loud at wide open throttle. I may look for longer baffles someday, or perhaps baffles I can wrap in glass. It's really not a high priority.

I haven't solved the issue about sealing the pipes - perhaps Spokes or Sam have suggestions? These slip-fit pipes don't leave clearance for rubber gaskets like the original Honda units had. I also didn't want to braze/solder the joint. I've put about 350 miles on the bike since it hit the road in September, and there's only a tiny bit of carbon showing at the pipe joints, so it's not been a major concern of mine.
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Default sealing the joint

i have the same pipes and used aliminum muffler tape wrapped two or three times on the inside two make the gap tighter .works good so far