FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:54 AM

Looking good Chip, as always.

Sam.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

You really brought that bike back from the dead. Funny how we can imagine what things will look like when they are done. I'm looking forward to how the engine paint works out for you also. I like those old knobby tires you got the bike with. Too bad we can't buy those today.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
There was one final hole in the back fender that was used to mount the rear rack for the bags. I tapped the hole, screwed in a bolt coated with JB Weld. Once the JB Weld was set, I ground the bolt flush, dimpled the area, sealed both sides with fiberglass and filled in with filler and spot primer.
Now that's creative - would have never thought of that. How thick was the metal area that you tapped?

Thanks for the tip.
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM

just chiming in on weight loss as this is a simple deal;

a. its not a diet its a life change to the way you eat

b. eliminate sodium and sugar from your diet , the food industry knows sodium gives the taste you love ( leads to high blood pressure ) sugar gives you the feel good high and when it goes away you eat more to get it back ( leads to diabetes )

c. eliminate bread ( use mission low carb tortilla 8 grams of fiber )

d. increase your fiber intake, veggies and water intake

e. watch your portion size, read labels for portion size,sodium and sugar

your good to go!!!!!
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Yep, that's the ticket for weight loss. You will feel better as well!

BTL: The metal thickness measures 0.129". There was enough metal for one thread. I'm sure you could use a self tapping bolt if need be.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
BTL: The metal thickness measures 0.129". There was enough metal for one thread. I'm sure you could use a self tapping bolt if need be.
... sorry Chip, didn't mean to make you fetch your digital calipers.
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Glad you are feeling well enough to get some work done.
Over the last 3 years I've lost 50-60lbs using similar methods.
If I could I certainly look better...
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:37 AM

Thanks Larz. The 2nd spinal injection helped quite a bit. As far as looking better...that's why I wear a full face mask helmet when I ride!!

Otherwise, the engine case and wheel hubs have been bead blasted. I had to try the 2 part aluminum engine paint on the inside of the wheel hubs. The paint color and is very close to actual aluminum. Pics to follow.

My new spokes came in as well, so building wheels and engine painting is next. I am trying an experiment with the wheels.....

I found nice new chrome 36 spoke, 16" rims from a supplier here in the USA. The experiment is that they are 1.6mm rather than 1.85mm wide.

The rims are for a Yamaha @ $55 each.....
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:21 AM

The engine cases were bead blasted and washed 4 times. This build I used Eastwood Ceramic 2-part aluminum color engine paint.

I cut the paint with 1/3 fast reducer, applied it with a mini HVLP gun at 35psi. The air temp was 63F

The high intensity ligt allowed me to evenly coat the paint. It applied very nicely and was tack free in 5 hrs. No need for a 2nd coat. I have painted a sacrifical part (inner chain guard from a CA160) to check the paints resistance to gas & oil
Sample Before

Sample After

Being that I have not sourced replacement mufflers at this time, I decided to save the old ones until I do so. I have patched mufflers before but not to the extent I have patched these. The mufflers were cleaned, bead blasted and sanded with 80 grit to remove any loose chrome. They were patched with a heavy application of fiberglass and JB Weld. The mufflers will be further refined, painted again with a final coat of rattle can silver header paint. Again, just until I find ones or types I like....or build straight pipes.
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:03 AM

Nice progress Chip. Interested to see how your solvent tests go on the new paint.
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM

Time Stamp 3-20-2013

Here is a shot of the progress of the bike. The front suspension is ready to install. This weekend will be the start of the build.

For reference

Today

A friend out west sent me some mufflers. It's the first time I have ever seen the flat early CA95 mufflers. The right one is in very nice shape, the left has some damage at the mount. My fab guy here in GA claims he can reconstruct the damage. The repair will be seen from the back of the left side. If it does'nt work out then in the spare parts bin they go.

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:47 AM

There was pair of flats in your own backyard from eBay but now I can't find them- my still be worth a look.
As usual coming along nicely...
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I have a pair of the flats on the ol' blue Benly but they aren't near as nice as those. They are very hard to come by indeed. Great job on those engine cases wow. I'm curious to see how well the sacrificial piece holds up. Your engine paint work puts my previous work to shame. I didn't know Eastwood had the good stuff back then.
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Thanks Smithers! I will post the results of the engine paint test soon. I plan to soak the part in gas and see how long it takes to peel the paint!

Larz..the pipes on ebay were mine. I sometimes list parts to determine interest & value. There was basically no interest...no problem as I will try to get the damaged one repaired. Push come to shove I will list the good one again or just put them in the shed.....
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Don't toss 'em.... "your own back yard"... sheesh, literally.
I need a good soaking in bourbon.