FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Buco Saddlebags Repair and Help Topics

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Default Buco Saddlebag Lid Repair

Buco was a company in Detroit that throughout the 50's to early 70's made a line of saddlebags that were used on many bikes including the Honda Dreams.
I plan to offer some techniques to repair smashed lids, broken bags and address some restoration subjects to help those who might be interested in restoring a set for their Honda's or any other era bike.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-07-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more info
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Default Repairing the damaged buco saddlebag fiberglass lid part 1

HOW TO REPAIR A REALLY DAMAGED BUCO SADDLEBAG LID. FEEL FREE TO ASK ABOUT THE DETAIL OF ANY PART OF THIS PROCEDURE.

I STARTED WITH THIS LID

REMOVED THE CRAPPY HINGE AND CLEANED AND WASHED THE LID WITH WESTLEYS WHITE WALL CLEANER AND LET DRY

USED A WEIGHT TO HOLD THE LID AT AN ANGLE, SATURATED A PIECE OF WOVEN FIBERGLASS AND REPAIRED A MAJOR CRACK 1ST

THEN TAPED OVER PART OF THE OPENING WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE

FROM THE BACK I AGAIN APPLIED A PIECE OF SATURATED WOVEN FIBERGLASS TO THE BACK OF THE ELECTRICAL TAPE

AFTER THE FIBERGLASS CURED I REMOVED THE TAPE

THEN I FILL THE VOID WITH POLYESTER BODY FILLER. WHICH BONDS REAL WELL WITH FRESH FIBERGLASS.

USING A RASP FILE I ROUGH OUT THE OUTSIDE FORM

Last edited by Spokes; 03-14-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: cleaning up procedure
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Part 2.
USING 1/4" AUTO ALUMINUM TRIM TAPE MAKE A ROUND CORNER

AGAIN COVER OPENING WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE

ONCE MORE, ADD A PIECE OF SATURATED WOVEN FIBERGLASS TO THE OPENING AND ALONG THE BOTTON EDGE.

NOW HERE IS A HANDY FIBERGLASS TRICK:
MIX ABOUT A SHOT GLASS OF FIBERGLASS RESIN TO A GOLFBALL SIZE VOLUME OF POLYESTER BODY FILLER. ADD A FEW DROPS OF FIBERGLASS HARDNER AND A PEA SIZE AMOUNT OF BODY FILLER HARDNER AND COAT THE INNER SIDE OF THE LID. YOU HAVE ABOUT 3 MINUTES TO DO THIS AT 60F

AFTER THE PUTTY-RESIN APPLICATION IS CURED, FILE THE EDGE AS EVEN AS POSSIBLE. PERFECTION IN NOT NEEDED AT THIS STEP. NOTICE THAT THERE IS SARAN WRAP ON THE BENCH. YOU NEED TO COVER THE BENCH WITH SARAN WRAP TO KEEP THE RESINS FROM GLUING YOUR WORK TO THE BENCH.

HOW TO MAKE THE LIP. USING PACKING TAPE, TAPE ONE SIDE OF THE DRY WOVEN FIBERGLASS AND TRIM WITH A KNIFE USING A GOOD LID AS A PATTERN.
SATURATE THE UNTAPED SIDE WITH RESIN WITH HARDNER ADDED, PLACE THE TAPED SIDE DOWN AND PLACE THE LID ONTO THE RESIN IMPREGNATED SIDE AND ALLOW TO CURE.

ONCE CURED, MIX SOME RESIN AND HARDNER AGAIN AND FILL THE BACKSIDE OF THE LID. PREPARE FOR DRIPS!

With a Dremel type tool (wear your mask) trim the excess fiberblass from the inside of the lid.
Turn over the lid and reinforce the lip with another layer of fiberglass and begin to fill voids with body filler
Here is another trick: Before the body fill gets hard, but just after it begins to gel..trim and sculpture with a sharp knife edge!

Fill, form file and sand the contour. Use primer as you guide to check your progress.
Using an original clasp to mill out the mounting holes your lid should look like this:

Finish the inside lip to match the bag form and your ready for paint!

Last edited by Spokes; 03-14-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add more info