FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Default Neutral light stays on in 2nd...

Hey folks... any thoughts on how to fix a neutral light that stays on in 2nd gear? I doesn't always, but it does most of the time. 1st and 3rd don't have the problem though. If I recall correctly, the neutral switch runs on a lobe on the magneto side. Is the switch placement adjustable to trim this problem out?
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM

...and now I found this thread
I'll try the ideas spokes gave pmannfury before I bug y'all some more.
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:48 AM

You'll more than likely have to pull the switch and give it a good cleaning , lI'd suspect a grease build-up in the switch not allowing to move correctly .
Could also be a minor adjustment when you tighten it down .
And yes , I should spell check or at least read the reply before I post , but what do you expect , I type with one finger.

Last edited by kartgreen; 10-05-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
Could also be a miror adjustment when you tighten it down .
Yeah, it's probably the mirrors. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Well, I cleaned the contacts on the switch, but it's still unreliable. Sometimes it turns on in Neutral, sometimes on 2nd. Sometimes, it stays on Neutral AND second.

I'm thinking the lob might be a little out - I'm a little leery of removing it. Any advice on how to loosen the lobe mounting nut without breaking something?
Unread 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM

1st. Put the bike in 2nd gear (not running!) if the light is on, slightly bend the contact tab down to turn off the light. Once the light is off, shift into neutral and check if the light turns on. If so, then your done! But if you have to remove the lobe:

Make sure that you use a phillips screwdriver that fits correctly. Try to loosen it first by hand. If you can't, then use a hammer impact wrench with a proper bit. If you don't have a hammer impact wrench, then place the phillips screwdriver into the screw head and strike the screwdriver lightly with a hammer, then try to loosen the screw. Do this a couple of times. If you bugger up the head, then an easy out bit is your last choice.
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I go out to the shop tomorrow. Interesting note: the lobe looks like it's being held on with a hex bolt (PO modification perhaps?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
1st. Put the bike in 2nd gear (not running!) if the light is on, slightly bend the contact tab down to turn off the light. Once the light is off, shift into neutral and check if the light turns on. If so, then your done! But if you have to remove the lobe:

Make sure that you use a phillips screwdriver that fits correctly. Try to loosen it first by hand. If you can't, then use a hammer impact wrench with a proper bit. If you don't have a hammer impact wrench, then place the phillips screwdriver into the screw head and strike the screwdriver lightly with a hammer, then try to loosen the screw. Do this a couple of times. If you bugger up the head, then an easy out bit is your last choice.
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:04 AM

Yes. Someone has fooled with the lobe. The lobe is mounted on an index pin. Make sure it is installed correctly.
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yes. Someone has fooled with the lobe. The lobe is mounted on an index pin. Make sure it is installed correctly.
Is there anything I should secure when I try to loosen it (ie, if I try to loosen it, will the shift drum turn?)
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Nope. Just unscrew it.
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Nope. Just unscrew it.
Thanks for all the help on this - I got the lobe off fine. The indexing pin is okay, and I found the problem: the flexible contact has failed, broken on one leaf, and the middle is about to fall out too. I couldn't see it before due to grease flicked up around the primary drive.

Looks like I'll have to search around for a neutral switch.

While I had it open, I also noticed a questionable repair - the shifter shaft has a hose clamp against a large flat washer, right where it meets the crankcase. I tried having a look in the parts manual, but for the life of me I can't get a good look at what parts are supposed to be there.

What I have right now on the shifter shaft (left to right order):

[Shifter]
{Sidecover}
[Loose Circlip (sliding free)]
[Loose tube bushing (sliding free)]
[Hose clamp]
[Large washer (slighly distorted)]
and, assuming there's nothing hiding behind the washer,
[Crankcase]
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Well, I received my new neutral switch (Thanks Smithers!), and it's been a fun time reinstalling it.

I successfully reinstalled the switch and lobe, but since I had the side cover off, it was time to fix that shifter shaft too.

I don't know why, but the PO decided a hose clamp was an appropriate replacement for a circlip... Either way, I flattened out the factory washer, and installed a circlip.

Then, the inevitable "Problem I didn't have until I fixed it" - the half-assed helicoil install on the exhaust stud decided to fail.

So, this morning I got up bright and early, and re-did the helicoil.

So far (fingers crossed), it's holding up.

Oh, and my neutral light is working again
Unread 11-03-2012, 02:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

... but can we still use hose clamps to hold exhaust pieces together?

Glad to hear that your neutral light is working.
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
... but can we still use hose clamps to hold exhaust pieces together?

Glad to hear that your neutral light is working.
Well, now I've got a hose clamp that's perfect for fuel line

Oh, and while I had everything apart, I polished up the points cover for the first time. It's not perfect, but the two-tone look is cool! I'll have to polish the oil filter cover next time I change the oil.
Unread 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.