FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Default Headlight Question

Hi Everyone:
I have been having a blast riding my CA95 around the neighborhood for a month or so now and now my next step is making my bike street legal. My paper work is all in order and I think the last thing I need to do fix now is the lights. The headlight (sealed beam unit) has never worked and being a real dummy with wiring, I've just put it off until now. After using my test light on the supply and getting power with the keyswitch on and still no light from the headlight I got out my continuity tester and checked across the three solder connections at the base of the headlight. I got no continuity between any of the connections. My very limited electrical experience leads me to believe there would be continuity if the filaments were intact and none if the headlight is burned out. If I am correct and I need a new headlight, do you recomend getting another sealed beam unit at around 50 dollars with shipping or go with a separate bulb/reflector setup which I don't have any pieces for and would probably cost just as much or more in the long run to convert to.
Thanks
Steve
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:29 AM

The easiest way to check the headlight is to use a 6 volt lantern battery. Ground the frame on the (-)termanal and touch the red or green wire to the (+) terminal.

As far as ease of getting a good headlight for the Benly, the asian light works well. I have one on my Build from Scratch. You will have to splice in the old headlight connectors on the new light.
Your continuity light should glow when connected to the headlight wiring regardless of a good or bad bulb. Make sure your ground is good. Some Benlys have a 3 position headlight switch, so check its position. Also the key position should be 2 clicks up from key entry position to energize the lights.
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Thanks Spokes:
I finally remembered to pick up a six volt lattern battery yesterday. I did the test, with the headlight disconnected from the wiring harness. I touched the ground terminal of the battery to the ground wire solder connection at the headlight frame and ran a long sheet metal screw into the sheathed connections on the high and low wires of the headlight and in turn, touched both to the positive terminal of the battery. Neither of them resulted in any light from the bulb. I think it is time to order one of the asian replacement headlights and get my bike on the road.
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:28 AM

Stever , I think I have a good used headlight and a new headlight . Have to go check the pile . Both are original glass style , not the plastic Asian replacement . P.M. me if your interested .
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:12 AM

Kartgreen, If this gentleman can't use a headlight assy., please put me down for it. Name your price. This is one thing I can't find on Ebay used, even bent up. It's not a problem for me to order from Thailand, just a shiny new headlight on a slightly bent up and used bike won't match. Guys, don't say it- bend and scratch it up before installing.
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:29 AM

Erik S , I'm sending one of my used headlights to steverinomeiste Wed. . We're returning home tonight and I'll check the other headlights I have to see what works and what doesn't . I know I have one that the lo beam is burned out but the hi beam works but I have several other lights I haven't checked as yet . I'll let you know .
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM

Than you Roger!
I can't wait. This light is the last step to not only having the bike completely sorted mechanically but also the last step to being street legal in over 40 years. I am looking forward to taking my 150 outside our neighborhood and riding to work before the rainy season sets in.
Thanks again Roger I sent you a pm about postage.
Steve
Unread 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Stever , in the mail this morning , you should see it in a few days .
Eric, my other two headlights , cracked lens -doesn't work , 2nd. only has low beam working .
I have a 3rd that I mounted an 1157 taillight bulb in it , don't think it would put out enough light for night riding but you could pass a vehicle inspection if necessary . Sorry .
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Kartgreen:
I've got the headlight connected and so far I've got my high beam circuit working, I am pretty sure I will have the low beam circuit working tonight.
Thanks again
Steve
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:22 AM

Have you gotten your cam chain problem taken care of and have you fired the motor up yet ?
Glad the lights working for you .
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:34 AM

Hi kartgreen,
Yes, i've got a great Honda Dealer just 14 miles from home. I took my bent link in and the owner of the shop (who's been there since the CA95 was new) searched through his NOS parts until he came up with a brand new 49 year old master link. Even after he located the NOS piece he still got out his micrometer to double check it against the original. He has some pretty good stories about the early years.
I've fired it up. I really like the method of timing the engine by temporarily installing the flywheel to set the crankshaft position. It makes it much easier for a near sighted guy like me to get the crank and the cam lined up exactly right.
It might be my imagination but it seems to be running quieter and smoother. Maybe I finally got the chain tension right this time.
Steve

Last edited by Steverinomeiste; 10-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:29 AM

Quiet and smooth is good !