FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Default 12v Battery

Hello there!

Recently purchased a 67 touring 160.

Immediately converted it to a 12v system (don't hate :/ )

Got my Interstate 12v annnnnd, it doesn't fit. I plugged it in and everything works great, but the battery is too big for the compartment.

I've heard some talk of Yuasa batteries.

Anyone know a model # of a 12v Yuasa batt. that would fit in the CA160?

Thanks!

Doug
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Well your best bet would be to go to a battery store and have them look up a battery that will fit in the bike or match the dimensions of the old battery. I know I could go to a battery store chain here (Batteries Plus) in San Luis Obispo and they would look up what I needed and it would be cheaper than a Yuasa. As long as you get a battery tender type charger (I prefer the Noco Genius chargers) on it then you won't have any problems for a long long time. You could also call Yuasa and ask them over the phone if they could look up a battery that has the dimensions you want and they would probably help you out. I've never seen a 12V in that size but you can buy one that's not as wide and it would work without a problem.
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Here is a list of SLA type batteries by size and voltage among other specs. SLA batteries from 1000bulbs.com
http://www.atbatt.com/sealed-lead-ac...es/b/yuasa.asp

Looks like a list of SLA batteries with dimensions as well. I would try one of these or Google it and see if they are working ok for people. I have read that people use them in bikes but they just have fewer cranking amps. I'm not sure about the electric starter performance with these but I know the bike would run just fine and the battery would last good. They are an AGM battery so you must use an AGM compatible charger. The Genius 1100 is the answer for that one. It does AGM batteries which includes Oddessy and Optima batteries both 12V and 6V. This 1100 is a hell of a deal and with all the features it has blown away my other trickle and tender chargers I have used - the "tender" one and the Yuasa tender which isn't anything special. I have actually brought back many batteries from the dead and I actually found a battery being used as a gate door stop at a house and brought it back to like new condition to use in a generator I have! My friends thought there was no way that one would come back but it did after a day of charger conditioning from the Genius Charger. Pretty amazing. I am ALWAYS charging batteries in cars, trucks, motorcycles, generators and a forklift haha. Genius Chargers are a must. You can get them straight from Amazon.com the cheapest I think.

Save money and buy a super affordable AGM and then buy a Genius 1100 charger to compliment it and you should be very happy.

Cyclegear.com also sells tons of batteries. You can use their site for reference as well. They have a good range of batteries and they will help if you call them up I'm sure.

Last edited by Smithers; 05-01-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Tags
battery, ca160, touring