FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Talking Almost Done....

Hey Benly Folks,

Been a bit quite here on the forum.....haven't known what to do with my spare time...

Everyone else must be hard at work, madly restoring their own piece of machinery

Here's what I've been up to (don't mind the mess...I'm used to it!).

Started up for the first time on the weekend....just the chain guard to go and then onto the road we go....

For a bit of the history of this build...

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/veg...ry/Benly%20C92

Kev.

PS....I haven't got the Sam Green Racing sign-writing done yet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C92 frame build_43_web.jpg (120.7 KB, 24 views)
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:42 PM

That looks really nice and I like the red!
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:55 PM

Thanks C66....

The red is an experiment using industrial enamel (I've only used acrylic in the past).
When looking around I tried to find a red that matched the photos of the original bikes and decided on this one.
If anyones interested its International Harvester red, and the silver is the same as used on Massey Ferguson wheels....so this build should have a real country feel to it

Kev.
Unread 03-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Brilliant front fender mount! Nice job for sure!
Unread 03-22-2014, 05:55 AM

And I'm diggin the bars as that is the style my CB92 tribute will be.
I'm lovin it!
L
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Nice looking bike, is that a CB92 engine?
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:41 PM

I wish it was a CB92 engine , but no... But it's as close as I could make it ....
It has genuine CB92 high comp pistons (thanks Sam ), a CA95 cam and transmission. Also a CA95 carb re-jetted to CB92 specs.
Really happy with how it turned out, but not happy with the new seat...too bulbous! Thinking of getting a copy of the CB92 racing seat.....
Hey Larz....I like the drag bars too, though the CB has a higher bottom portion of the handle bar mount which would help with fuel tank clearance....it's very close!

Kev
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Ok now ride her over her over here so we can get a good look!
If you come to Valdosta GA ,US in April (10-13th) you could even
greet The Man himself, cause we're going racing again! Travel safe Sam! You two Kev!
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:20 PM

Sounds good to me....I'll start looking for a set of floats right away

Finally got her out of the shed and got some better photos.....then went for a ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C92 Finished_01_web.jpg (149.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg C92 Finished_02_web.jpg (177.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg C92 Finished_03_web.jpg (138.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg C92 Finished_04_web.jpg (135.3 KB, 18 views)
Unread 03-24-2014, 04:23 AM

Unread 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM

Interested to see how you have done the front mudguard. I have most of a spare C95 . Not enough to build an original bike but I fancy doing something a little different with it. I like the idea of flat bars and a chrome mudguard. How did your ride go. I've got a bmw r1200s but still love riding the c95.
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Hey Nige,

Have a look here, better photos and more descriptive...

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showpo...3&postcount=26

The guard appears to have worked nicely. Spokes was wondering if the wheel would hit when bump running....so far so good, even when navigating cattle grids! (as I live on a dirt road in cattle country ) The clearance between the top of the new mount near the axle and the bottom of the fork is really the only place where it looks too close.....see attached.

Ride went really well. Everything worked as it should and nothing fell off!.....bit of work to do with the jetting as I think it was leaning off above half throttle, probably due to me being at 1000m asl

Kev.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C92_front wheel_Clearance issue.JPG (56.6 KB, 5 views)
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
Ok now ride her over her over here so we can get a good look!
If you come to Valdosta GA ,US in April (10-13th) you could even
greet The Man himself, cause we're going racing again! Travel safe Sam! You two Kev!
Hey guys, please forgive my absence, the above quote from Larry put me all in a spin.
When I retired from work last year, I had a final fling racing in the States and planned to spend my retirement getting all my Benly's into shape through 2014.
Some last minute good news from my team in Atlanta changed all my plans.
They managed to get some funding to allow me to contest the full series I had been running in. Before, I only did the odd event. Doing the full series was to good to turn down.
On top of this, I had been approached by a large International race team running out of the UK who were setting up a distributorship with an American manufacturer to take one of their machines to a new British Land Speed Record. I'm not sure why but as of yesterday, the deal fell through.
Fortunately, the team were in talks with another manufacturer and it's hoped that these people can come up with a bike by Friday of next week which is the deadline for entries.
Irrespective of what happens, I will be returning to the States for the second round of the Manufacturers Cup series next month in Virginia at VMP Dinwiddie.
Larry, (Larzfromarz) will be with us again working his magic on the bikes and taking pictures and video of the proceedings.
After the first round at SGMP Valdosta, I am lying in joint 13th place in the championship out of 102 contestants, with a bit of luck and Larry's help, we hope to improve on that and are looking for at least a top 20 position at the end of the year.
I'll do my best to get on here more often and I'm looking forward to catching up on some of your projects.

Regards Sam.
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegeKev View Post
I wish it was a CB92 engine , but no... But it's as close as I could make it ....
It has genuine CB92 high comp pistons (thanks Sam ), a CA95 cam and transmission. Also a CA95 carb re-jetted to CB92 specs.
Really happy with how it turned out, but not happy with the new seat...too bulbous! Thinking of getting a copy of the CB92 racing seat.....
Hey Larz....I like the drag bars too, though the CB has a higher bottom portion of the handle bar mount which would help with fuel tank clearance....it's very close!

Kev
Hi Kev, how is the motor, does it run sweet?
Yes the seat kills it, even a stock seat would look better.
I may be able to sort you a CB92 raised handle bar mount but I'm not to sure at the moment.

Regards Sam.
Unread 05-08-2014, 04:12 PM

Hey Sam,

Great to hear your spending your retirement racing!....Sweet

Yep, motor is running nice, but over 1/2 throttle it stops making power....Im playing with the main jet to try and fix. Ive gone leaner and made it worse, so now I'm going richer and we will see . Not sure if the 20mm CA95 carb is causing me dramas on a 125cc engine. From what I've read the CB92 carb was a 18mm?....but finding a PW18 with a power jet me thinks is like trying to find the Tassie tiger

Yeah....seat no look nice. Soon as the wallet allows Im going to change the seat for a CB92R copy.

Good luck with the Land Speed Record, definitely one thing that I'd love to have a go at.

Kev.