FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Ben Cullen

Default Benly Race Pics.

Posting some pictures on behalf of Sam Green. These are some of the many Benlys Sam Has had over the years;

This is a fuel injected, methanol burning, C95 Benly (161cc).

Mid-late 90's; Sam spinning off the line at houghton tower on his C95 Benly (different bike to previous).

On the Line at houghton tower, at a different meeting.

Houghton tower; different meeting again though.

Chris Cullen (My Dad) riding Sam's Road- Racer 175cc Benly at lyme park sprint '99.

Same bike as saw in previous photo, but a lot more up to date. This is the one I will be riding, But as a 125.

164cc fuel injected, methanol burning, super lightweight Sprint & drag racing benly in a special tubular frame.

Sam in posing gear in front of the race transport and the VFR400 he used to race.

Benny, Sams Mate and helper.
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM

All awesome~!

1995 Ducati M900
1995 Ducati 900SS
1997 Ducati 748S
2010 Ducati 1198S

2003 Toyota Tundra Long Travel Baja race truck
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Great pics, It putting all sorts of daft ideas into my head, ive got just about enough spares to build a sprint or hillclimb bike.......
Unread 04-28-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige1100s View Post
Great pics, It putting all sorts of daft ideas into my head, ive got just about enough spares to build a sprint or hillclimb bike.......
Well what ya waiting for Nige.

Sam.
Unread 04-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Love those pictures! Nothing like good ol film exposures etc etc. I wanna make a bare frame racer now!
Unread 04-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

That house and shop looks exactly like the one in The Worlds Fastest Indian!
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Not my house Ryan, I live near the blue car in the last pic of the 73 bike, the one with the upstairs window open.

Sam.
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Also, Burts garden wouldn't stand a chance against mine.

Zoom right in on Google maps on this address. 22 sycamore cres warrington wa3 6jr. look for the Japanese style garden with the pond. I live in the upstairs apartment to the right of the garden, my front door is next to the white utility box with the ashtray on it..
22 Sycamore is a false address from Google but it pin points the area where the pics were taken.

Sam.
Unread 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Sam very nice pictures. The #73 bike is that a CB92? If not it looks very similar. I would like to have one of those tanks. I am thinking a CB92 replica project someday, the tank would have to be hand fabricated. The CB92 bikes and parts are very costly here in the US. A ebay seller has listed a CB92 tank for $1800. I am also wanting to check out the Isle of Man TT, do you go there?
Unread 04-29-2010, 02:02 AM

Brew, don't belive all you see, everything that glitters is not gold.
The frame, fork, swingarm, brakes, crank, cases, and head are all C92.
The aluminum block, gearbox, footrest and foot controls are the only CB92 parts.
Brit parts are, Amal MK1 concentric 24mm carb and Hepolite +.50 pistons.(157.82cc)
The block was re sleved with bigger liners to take the oversize pistons and the C92 125 head was squished to suite as well.
18" Borrani WM1 flanged aluminum rims are shod with Avon Roadrunner soft compound race tyres.
The exhaust was custom made as was the replica glass seat base.(still to be padded)
I made the replica tank in glass from a mould I took from a CB92 tank that was well past its sell by date.
The chain is a race chain from my RS125 running on custom made sprockets.
Standard coil and points ignition are run from a 6 volt 4 amph battery.
The bike is fueled on Shell 99 octane VPower pump gas and that's about it, should be running this weekend and out racing the weekend after if all goes to plan.
I went to every TT and Manx GP from 62 to 78. I had an entry in the 76 TT when I sponsored an American Rider named Brian Zeky who sadly passed quite recent.
I went to a few MGP in the 90s but have not been back apart from going over for a sprint/drag meeting in 2003.

Sam.
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:29 AM

I like how the Brits race what they have. Over here its "BIGGER IS BETTER!!"
The HD people as soon as possable when they buy a new bike toss the original cylinders and pistons so they can have BIG X BIG. (?) I come from the OLD SCHOOL where you work to improve efficiency of what you have. With that in mind some real surprizes happen. Thanks again for the pictures, if I get over there for the TT I will come by to see your bikes.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:29 AM

You've more chance of meeting me over there Brew, and yes, sometimes bigger is better I've just had a 750 bored to 836 by a mate in Boston, hoping to have it race ready for the AMA drag bike finals at Valdosta in November.
If you do get over for the TT, you'll have to fly onto the mainland to get there. I'm just 20 minutes from Manchester airport and about 45mins from Liverpool, you can fly to the Island from both these airports.

Sam.
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Fantastic Pics! Great info! What I like best about motorcycles (and cars) is that you can do what you want to do. There are no rules for expression of talent, as long as one pays attention to safety and detail. I have a light weight idea for padding for your seat. I used 1" thick, black synthetic HVAC insulation. I have a gasket supply house that makes anything gasket. That's all I used for my mini 3" spring solo seat for my CA95. Trims easy with an electric carving knike and with a light layer of stretch vinyl it looked perfect.

The last time I was in London, the Beatles were very popular. I was the only 16 year old kid here in the states with a 65 MG1100 Sedan as my first car. My father drove Morris Minors until he bought his 66 MGB that we finally let go in 1986. He kept it like a child, never in rain or snow. My 1100 died a violent death. My brother came home from Viet Nam, wanted to get a drink. I forgot to tell him the 1100 was front wheel drive. Winter slick roads he applied rear wheel driving technique to my 1100 in a spin. End of story. He survived unharmed and went back to Viet Nam.

Your pic's were a great blast from the past. Thank you sir.

Last edited by Spokes; 04-29-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: fix spelling
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:50 PM

Correct me if i am wrong but isn't that bike called a RC161 or something? i remember seeing it before in a book...
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Fantastic Pics! Great info! What I like best about motorcycles (and cars) is that you can do what you want to do. There are no rules for expression of talent, as long as one pays attention to safety and detail. I have a light weight idea for padding for your seat. I used 1" thick, black synthetic HVAC insulation. I have a gasket supply house that makes anything gasket. That's all I used for my mini 3" spring solo seat for my CA95. Trims easy with an electric carving knike and with a light layer of stretch vinyl it looked perfect.

The last time I was in London, the Beatles were very popular. I was the only 16 year old kid here in the states with a 65 MG1100 Sedan as my first car. My father drove Morris Minors until he bought his 66 MGB that we finally let go in 1986. He kept it like a child, never in rain or snow. My 1100 died a violent death. My brother came home from Viet Nam, wanted to get a drink. I forgot to tell him the 1100 was front wheel drive. Winter slick roads he applied rear wheel driving technique to my 1100 in a spin. End of story. He survived unharmed and went back to Viet Nam.

Your pic's were a great blast from the past. Thank you sir.
Hi Chip, I have the rubber type foam for the seat, it won't be covered, I'll get Ben to post pics when it's done.
Sad to hear of how your 1100 met its demise, they were nice motors.
There was a real up market version in the UK called the Vanden Plas.
You can read about it here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanden_Plas

Sam.