FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Default Rear shock recommendations

I'm continuing my C95 project, and am assembling things now.

I had the plastic covers of a pair of 305 Dream shocks painted white with the frame etc. and was going to disassemble my C95 shocks, have the steel lower shrouds rechromed and then put them all together.

Issue 1 is I'm having a devil of a time taking the shocks apart. The retaining nut/ring and spring all have to come off to get the chrome shrouds off, and of course the dampening rod that the nut is threaded on to rotates freely, making backing the nut off impossible.

Aside from compressing the spring with a tool I do not own or have the facility to make, clamping the rod and taking the nut off, am I out of luck?

I'm looking at a much nicer set of shocks in the meantime that don't need new chrome, so I might just go that route and install my newly painted shrouds on them, but figured I'd ask as well.

Beyond that, any recommendations for an aftermarket replacement? I've looked at all chrome shrouded CB72 shocks on eBay (Thai) but at $80 a pair + $65 shipping I'd rather spend the same money on a domestic setup. Just haven't found anything short enough and fully shrouded.

I'm not a purist, so a full chrome round shock is fine with me, but I'd rather not see springs.
Unread 12-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Well on the topic of how to remove the nut and retaining ring, I re-read the how-to in this thread and noted the bit about slotting the top of the rod to make it easier. So I'll give that a shot

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=975
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Yep, Spokes did a good job of documenting how to disassemble the rear shocks. I improvised myself, with whatever tools I could find, and posted some pics on this page:

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showth...?t=1529&page=3
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Appreciate the links - just went through your build (have looked at it before but not for some time). Some helpful bits in there for me (like put the levers on before the wiring in the bars )

I knuckled down and got the shocks apart. I had been given a set of 305 Dream shocks to use with the bike, as the originals were very crusty. It had been so long I had forgotten the CA95 shocks have a clevis bottom, not an eye like the 305 Dream.

So I took the plastics off all the shocks, cut slots in the tops of the rods and got them apart no trouble. Used the good chrome shrouds from the 305 shocks on the CA95 bodies, cleaned up the ends with a sanding mop on my drill and now I have nice looking shocks.

However, my shocks are in fact shot from a dampening perspective. Seals blown, no oil left I expect. For now this bike is going to live indoors (I have 5 other bikes) so no big deal, and even then, riding on springs only wouldn't be the end of the world for this little thing esp. given the limitations of the front suspension. When I stumble across another set of shocks with known good dampening I'll swap them out.

As she stands now:

Unread 12-23-2012, 03:36 AM

Gorgeous bike - and white is still my favorite color for the old Honda Dream-style stamped frames. Something classy about white.

So, you're single, I presume? Thanks for the pic.
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Good looking bike. White is a real show stopper. Not many of 'em out there.
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Thumbs down

Married, but long enough that I get away with this

I bought the bike while I was in the middle of finishing my XS650 cafe (a year later the XS was on the road). In there I also bought my SR500!

So I'm juggling the following projects:

BMW R75/6 needs a bunch of tuning - it got new spokes/tires this summer and I haven't ridden it since putting Mikuni VM32's on it along with a bunch of other bits 3 years ago

XS650 cafe - it runs and has been my daily ride for the last 3 years but I might have blown something in Alabama at 9000 RPM/120 MPH. But she runs

SR500 - in rolling chassis mode - needs to be finished off. Tank mount, seat, wiring.

Voodoo Vintage MK4 XS650 - have a frame, freshly spoked wheels with new Avon tires - need to take apart/clean up my old XS650 engine for it and sort out everything else

Last edited by tim; 12-27-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Oh and the rigid is getting a custom springer front end. The stock forks are just there to hold it up. 1.5 inches of suspension travel isn't quite enough to get me out of my garage let alone down the road
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Good to see you getting back to work on the mini-dream Tim. That XS650 cafe is going to be solid performing bike. Those Shinko tires are the hot ticket. I ordered a pair for a friends BMW GS today for him. He has had his knee down to the pavement on his GS with those tires on... albeit he was leaning off the bike a little bit to make that happen. When I was a lad me and my dad rode around the whole western US, top to bottom, on an XS1100. My friend and his dad were on their R75 just like what you have but with a windscreen and sheepskin seat cover etc etc. Their BMW ran perfectly for that whole 2 week trip while it needed the oil topped off every other day. Those are tough, high-mile engines in a lightweight chassis. Nice little collection.
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Looking forward to watching the C95 come together, Tim. That's going to be one gorgeous bike. The slash six looks nice, too.

Keep the pictures coming!
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Biggest problem I'm having is sourcing M10 x 1.00 pitch nuts and bolts for the rear suspension. Will likely have to order them.

I'm hesitant to put the old wheels on as the chrome is bubbling. I had cheap Duro tires slapped on it years ago when I bought the bike. Been holding off on ordering replacement rims from Thailand. I'll wipe the wheels down to see just how ugly they are and make a decision.

Might need to find some old used tires for it as the bike is probably going to live indoors for a while and new tires stink.
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:16 AM

M10 x 1.00 nuts are available for 37 cents each here:

http://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex_...0.9_steel.aspx

Just scroll down to the "super fine" thread pitch.

New bolts are available in two styles below, from what I could find:

http://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_tap_...mm.aspx?nv=rel

http://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex_...m_x_1.0mm.aspx

I used new rims and spokes sourced from Thailand with good results, if you're considering that option.
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Should have mentioned I'm in Canada which makes a $0.37 nut $15 once you ship it

Also I'm looking for the acorn nuts for the top shock mounts, which even Bolt Depot doesn't have in 10x1.00.

Will try to order the part from Honda on Monday - they always surprise me with what they have available.

Definitely have considered the Thailand rims/spokes. But I might haul these down to my chrome plater and see if they can be re-chromed. They're good, just not perfect.
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:46 AM

I have a couple of original shock nuts. They are nice but need to be chromed. Cost of postage only. I have also chased the shock studs with a metric die close to the stud size and thread count. Then I used acorn nuts from the Harley dealer.
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM

The cap nut for the shocks appears to be available here, if you're preferring to buy new:

80 cents:
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...021-10020.html

79 cents:
http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...-10020-0S.html

I did see a pair of NOS nuts available on eBay in Great Britain, but the postage makes them a tad pricey. Hopefully one of the North American sites actually has them in stock. Lots of web sites seem to have no idea what's really in stock until you attempt to buy the part.

Good luck.