FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Sure sounds like a compression issue, but the fouled plug is often due to bad (old) fuel. Fuel issues usually affect start up and idle...not so much overall speed. I hate to go back to the same advice you've been given already, but did you replace the fuel and the spark plug yet?
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Hmm maybe the gasket I made isn't as great as I thought? The new one came in today I think but I won't be able to install it until friday. I've also got a buddy who's an electrical engineer so he's gonna help me re-wire it.

I guess I'll order a bunch of new plugs too while I'm at it.

Is it possible that the plugs bad even though it's looks like it's giving nice sparks when I test it?

Last edited by Dioxin01; 08-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Here's the video

I've uploaded the video to youtube to show you guys. Near the end of the video, when I start accelerating, you can hear how it doesn't accelerate smoothly and the fast I go, the worse it becomes, until it refuses to accelerate anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrHFkqCG9s

The specific part is 0:24 to the end. The times before that were me letting go of the gas because I was scared to drop my new phone.

Last edited by Dioxin01; 08-22-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

It's definitely not getting enough fuel. Need more! So what gasket are you talking about a couple of posts ago?

About the carb those things must be SUPER clean inside all the passageways in order to run perfectly. I've seen people try and clean their carbs once, twice to no avail. Then who ever is next in line to work on the bike dips the carbs a couple more times and then it runs perfectly. It takes a few times to really make sure that you have the carb clean. Some people boil them in carb cleaning solution. Some people put them in sonic cleaning tanks with solution and baking soda. I prefer BOTH! Back to the solvent tank for you! Don't pass go and don't collect $200.

My CL70 will whip yours as it runs now. I need to get me some new tires...

If worse comes to worse you can send me your carb and I can clean and tune it on my CL70. Making a new wiring harness is a GREAT idea. I have soldered all my connectors and the light shine SO much brighter and the horn is strong. All those old connectors really hold back the current of the poor little 6V battery. I would like to make a new harness for mine someday.

Last edited by Smithers; 08-22-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Admin

That little Honda 70 sounds like my air compressor! If my pipes weren't in such good condition on my little CL I would totally put a new trick looking muffler on it. I also found a guy that manufactures some REALLY cool mufflers that people use on some classic bikes all over. I'll have to find the pictures I took of them at a bike show a little while back.
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Haha well just wait until my bike is done and then we'll see :P

Also I have no idea where to buy the kind of carb cleaner that you can submerge the whole carb in. I can only find the spray ones. We don't have as many auto stores here in Canada... Especially in Quebec.

I also kinda have to update the wiring. When it was in it's little shed, (for about 30 years) some mice decided that the empty spot where the battery used to be was a great spot for a home. As a plus it came with some tasty wires. So because of the bad wires, the headlight rarely works, the blinkers don't blink (except they did once while I was riding it the day I took that video), the rear light randomly decided to start working one day, etc lol.

As for my exhaust, the chrome is in excellent shape but the pipe has some tears in it. I have no idea how they happened but you can see some of them in the picture right under the guard on the left side.

The broken gasket is the one for the cam chain cover. Here's a picture: http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslis...e1001_1182.gif

It is on the right of the picture labelled as number 7
Unread 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Ok so I finally put the new gasket on but when I started it, it idles REALLY fast. The exhaust is also really dark and applying cause flames to shoot out the exhaust. I was riding it a couple days ago and it didn't have this problem.

My personal input is that the new gasket resulted in better compression and less air intake from leaks therefore the previous carburetor settings no longer work. The extra rich mixture is backed up by the fact that it is getting a lot less air then before. Yes?

Last edited by Dioxin01; 08-24-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Ok so as it turns out, my thought about it running too rich was only partially right. I adjusted the floats and it didn't really fix the problem. I also tried letting it warm up for a bit thinking that my help but it had no effect either. What did help was applying throttle while messing with the choke. It made the bike die but when I started it again it ran great. Dirt carb problem? I think so!
Unread 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM

Wow does changing a few connections and fixing some wiring issues make all the difference! The bike runs AMAZING now. Got it to 35 no problem but I ran out of road and didn't want to attract to much attention seeing as I don't have a license to drive bikes and the bike itself doesn't have a license.

There is one problem though. When I first start the bike, it revs REALLY high until I put the choke and a lot of throttle a bit. The choke brings down the revs to an acceptable level. After a few times of doing this and making the engine die out from it, it starts and runs fine. I tested the compression and it went up to 140 Psi with no decrease. I also put some new gaskets in and can't find any leaks at all.

My suspicion is that the new petcock I ordered is crap. The thing drips out gas even in the off position. I think the pressure from gas always trying to get in (and actually filling the carb) really messes with it until the excess is burned.
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Admin

Yeap cleaning up the wiring and cleaning out corroded connectors (or replacing them) really helps huh!? Now to just fix the pesky fuel flow problem. : \

It should just run perfectly! Don't stop until you get it right.
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Alright so I've done everything I can do. The only problem is that when the bike is on weird inclines it goes nuts and revs to the max. Raising the floats makes this issues less frequent but it still happens whenever I have it parallel to the garage door (lol). Raising the floats, however, has caused a large loss of performance. The bike accelerates pretty slowly after 30. Is that normal?
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Dead end? :(

So I brought my exhaust pipe to a local welder. To my disappointment he said it was completely rotten and could not be fixed. Even worse is that it was so bad that when I took out all the bolt's holding it to the frame, it snapped in 2 under its own weight. Seeing as there are no mufflers to buy ANYWHERE I am stuck. This is the last piece I need to get the bike licensed again so I'm pretty depressed
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Keep looking on eBay. If not, they have some aftermaket mufflers that will let you get it at least licensed.
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Unfortunately there are only two sellers of aftermarket exhausts on ebay and both have to be modified to fit. By modified they mean have brackets welded on and the mount for the heat guard welded on also.
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:35 AM

I thought i found one that bolted on, i'll have to check it again online and see what it was.