FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-24-2011, 06:12 AM

Default Another new guy

Hello to all. I'm new to the vintage bikes but have a love for the older stuff. Four wheeled ones are more my thing but stumbled across a 1968 CA160 at a swap meet and just had to have it. Found this site when looking for resources. Here is a picture of it as purchased. Came with 3 big boxes of parts including the complete engine which seems to be ok along with a lot of new parts in boxes, mostly from Taiwan. Glad to be here and hope you guys don't mind answering some questions as I get into this project.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ca160day1.jpg (233.2 KB, 19 views)
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:22 AM

Just a little look at some of my other projects. I completed the Chevy sedan in January and drug the truck home to give me something to do. I was at a swap meet in Moultrie, GA looking for parts for the truck when I found the little Honda. I walked away from it twice and then came back again and bought it. Like I need another project. The third picture is where I am now on it but it will have to wait awhile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1327.JPG (13.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg load3.jpg (46.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1975 (800x600).jpg (128.4 KB, 10 views)
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Glad to have you aboard. All the information you need and more is here but we still like a good challenge so let is know when you need some advice. I'm not sure about those ape hangers you have on your bike though...

Yeap these little Honda bikes are hard to resist! The good news is that you make a LOT more progress when you are working on motorcycles compared to cars and trucks. It only takes a handful of hours to do a complete restoration whereas the 4 wheeled variety can take a lifetime in comparison. And you can always tuck a motorcycle away in the corner and get back to it later... a car/truck takes up a whole lot more floor space. These bikes are great little mail getters and are great for cruising around the neighborhood to visit friends and whatnot.

Now you get to decide how you want to restore the bike. Are you going the all original route or are you going to make it a custom color and change things up a bit? I recommend doing whatever you want since they aren't worth a lot of money unless they are kept in completely original condition is seems.
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Glad to have you aboard. All the information you need and more is here but we still like a good challenge so let is know when you need some advice. I'm not sure about those ape hangers you have on your bike though...

Yeap these little Honda bikes are hard to resist! The good news is that you make a LOT more progress when you are working on motorcycles compared to cars and trucks. It only takes a handful of hours to do a complete restoration whereas the 4 wheeled variety can take a lifetime in comparison. And you can always tuck a motorcycle away in the corner and get back to it later... a car/truck takes up a whole lot more floor space. These bikes are great little mail getters and are great for cruising around the neighborhood to visit friends and whatnot.

Now you get to decide how you want to restore the bike. Are you going the all original route or are you going to make it a custom color and change things up a bit? I recommend doing whatever you want since they aren't worth a lot of money unless they are kept in completely original condition is seems.
Agree on the handle bars. New correct ones came with it. I will go back as close to original as I can. Nothing against customs but I like the aura of these bikes as they are. Wanted whitewall tires but we all know about that but I did get a ribbed front tire and a back that looks right. The seat is not correct but I have ordered one off Ebay along with a lot of other stuff.

I went back and forth between white and black for color but decided on white with my wife's help. She does not ride but hoping when it's done it will make her want to start.

You are right on time required. Should have everything ready for paint with a few more hours of prep. My bead blast cabinet is a real time saver.
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:53 AM

I bought a black one and ALWAYS wanted a white one. I rode that little bike everywhere, and it has been a great little bike. Now, we are finishing up my 305 Dream, and guess what....ITS WHITE!!!!! These bikes are so cool. I get approached all the time when I'm out on it, so if your wife rides it, keep an eye on her!!!!! (kidding) Enjoy your new project!

IMG_8085 by bruceandkellie, on Flickr

IMG_8269 by bruceandkellie, on Flickr
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:48 PM

Kellie, nice bikes you have! If all goes as planned, we'll be the opposite of you in colors. I want to do a black Dream pretty much in the style of yours. Thanks for posting the pictures - good inspiration for me.
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks! When you get yours done....or even during the process of the resto, you should post pic's. It's always nice to watch others progress. Enjoy your projects!
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
I'm not sure about those ape hangers you have on your bike though...
The apes are probably what probably was the beginning of the end of this bike being on the road for the last owner that had it running. Someone extended the wiring by just clipping each wire and adding a section in. That would have been fine if they had soldered and covered with heatshrink tubing. But they just twisted the wires and covered them loosely with a little tape. Then they damaged the insulation on some of the wire when they pulled it through the bars. Bet those bare spots released some gremlins.
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Welcome Bamabob!
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Welcome. Lots of good tips and techniqiues to be had here
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellieLyne View Post
Thanks! When you get yours done....or even during the process of the resto, you should post pic's. It's always nice to watch others progress. Enjoy your projects!
I started a build thread on the CA160 page. I'm not the best photographer but here is the link to it.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1555