FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Default New Guy

Hello y'all,
Recently received a CA160 from my wife's grandfather. I have painstakingly searched the internet and this forum seems to have the most knowledgable and insightful members. I have read many of threads in order to reduce my questions.
I have put tires and a chain on the bike and am in the process of a carb tuning. I have a battery on the way. I would like to know the year model.
# on frame- CA160-1006603
# on engine- A160E-1006650 I'm assuming the C didn't make it onto the stamp plate of the engine.

I have a rusted gas tank. I need the tool cover/batter cover. I need mufflers. I am sure I need many other parts but those are the majors ones I see that may be hard to find. Any insight or websites would be helpful. Also, and tips or hints would be nice as well. I really want to be careful when ordering parts for the correct bike.
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM

Default pic

Here are some pics, I hope. I really suck at the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016 (960x1280).jpg (120.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 017 (960x1280).jpg (168.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 018 (960x1280).jpg (151.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 019 (960x1280).jpg (148.8 KB, 11 views)

Current project-CA160
Commuter ride-2007 1500 Ram w/HEMI
Fun ride-2006 Kawasaki ZX6
Unread 03-29-2013, 03:10 AM

Your bike is very likely a 1966. The engine number is close to the frame number so it is the original engine. The frame numbers rarely, if ever, match the frame number exactly. This is a case of "close enough".

The bike looks fairly complete which is a great start. It seems that the white Honda's of the era tend to have more rust than other colors.(IMO)

The rusty tank can be cleaned and de-rusted. It is only after it's clean and rust free will you know if it's solid, needs a liner product or trash.

The side covers are easy. The plastic replacement covers work well and can be painted. The metal one's are less common and tend to get pricey and usually needs paint.

Original mufflers are a hard find.

eBay is a good source for used parts. Be cautious of asian sellers who claim their parts fits many models & styles of the CA160. When you search for parts also include the CA95. The 1959-65 & 1966-69 CA160 share almost every part with the exception of engine, exhaust,wire harness,tank sides & badges.

Your Honda dealer can supply some common parts like original style screws, select carb parts and the like.

Some websites like www.hondarestoration.com can give you part blow up descriptions & part numbers

Rust removal products that work the best for me are Evapo-Rust (great for rust removal in gas tanks) and good ole' Dawn Dishwashing liquid. Also, most automotive cleaners, chrome rust removers, carb cleaners work well.
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I have painstakingly searched the internet and this forum seems to have the most knowledgable and insightful members.
... and I might add, the best looking, too.

Welcome to the forum. It'll be nice to follow your progress.
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Carb question

Hey Spokes,
Does the needle in the carb have a rubber tip, set on a rubber o-ring seat or is it metal on metal? I have taken it apart and when I blow into the fuel line with the needle up it does not allow air to pass. It currently is metal on metal. No rubber parts. Thanks.
I got a battery in today. She fires right up but runs poorly. I will take her to my wife grandfather to see if he can tune the carb. Thanks

Current project-CA160
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:18 PM

The fuel inlet is metal on metal. If the float is in the up position and you cannot get air through it, its working as designed. Although it pays to get a new inlet assembly. Honda still sells them for about $16.00.

Poor running may be old gas in the tank. It is hard to remove every drop of fuel unless the tank is removed and flushed out. Also make sure the gas cap vent is clear. After sitting a long time the spring pressure release mechanism in the cap gets goobered up. No vent in the cap will impede fuel flow...and make the bike run poorly.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-29-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM

Sundance , pm me or just reply , but I think I have a set of steel side covers if your still looking for them . These restorations are not for the faint of heart but the end result gives you a very special bike . Anywhere you take it you'll spend lots of time talking to folks about it . Take your time and enjoy your labor of love .
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Welcome, you should find the help you need here. You already have the good attitude and just don't be afraid to give more details, you generate better answers that way. You 've already heard from some of the Guru's so there isn't much to add except Welcome and have a blast...
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM

kartgreen, that sounds great!!! Have you any pics go post of them?

Also, guys, trust me, I will have lots of questions so please bear with me. I can tell that many of you are light years ahead of me on the skill sets required to a rebuild but I am determined to do this. It has already given me much great enjoyment.

Thanks again.
...Sundance

Current project-CA160
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM

welcome to the forum nice bike
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Welcome to the forum Sundance - can we ask your name or should we just use your forum username? You are about to learn a whole lot about Hondas on your restoration adventure. It's a great bike to learn about the inner workings of the classics. We have the answers for anything that you might get hung up on too.

Nice ZX-6 by the way. Did you see the Kawi ZX-6R of my gf's? It's one mean machine as well. >: ) I started a thread to tell the ins and outs of the timing chain system. I posted a popular Youtube video I made explaining the cam chain replacement that you might want to see.
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Smithers,
Believe it or not that is my real name, I promise. Parents were hippies as I was born in 1977. Thanks for the welcoming to the forum.

As for the ZX, how many miles were on that bike when the chain was discovered bad? I bought mine new and it now has 30,000 plus on it. Luckily I haven't had a lick of trouble out it. She runs like a bat out of hell. I've got one tooth down in front and 2 teeth up in back. K&N air filter, Akra slip on with a Power Commander and done the jumper mod. Cosmetically I've done Euro turn signals in front and integrated turn signals on back.

Hollar back at me
...Sundance

Current project-CA160