FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap

LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap My blood sweat and tears. It will be worth it!!

Unread 11-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

So now where am I at? Well I need to remove some carbon deposits from the intake manifolds and also the injectors need some attention. I've read about some builds in which the person neglects to change out the old seals and rubber grommets. This is not ideal. The rubber sealing these injectors from top to bottom are what, 15 years old?? YEAH this would be a very wise idea to change out all the rubber. I have the grommets and o-rings on the way from back east somewhere. They should be here tomorrow. These are just details that need to be addressed in order to guarantee reliability which is top priority.

Here is where I'm starting on this one. Intake needs a cleaning inside. It is pretty shiny on the exterior though. The fuel tubes could use a little powder and the injectors are getting the go-through.

Unread 11-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Admin

Here we have the injector holes which are horrible looking. I didn't see any signs of leakage but you can see it would only be a matter of time. All of the rubber was holding a seal but was very tough but not quite brittle. I was lucky enough to get a hold of all the rubber seals under the parts listing for the exact same Denso injector number but I'm sure you can just cross reference some other NDenso part numbers.

The plastic caps are completely broken down and I need to source some of these. I got a hot tip from a mechanic friend of mine in town so I'll follow up on it this coming week. All in all they look like they are in great condition besides the plastic caps and rubber. I've worked on a few early 90's Toyotas and they weren't as nice as these were :huh: They will clean up to look and operate like new. I really need to find a good place to send these out to. It wouldn't be smart to put injectors with so many years behind them back into such a nice engine.

Of course the new rubber parts are to the right. Much better looking. I'm glad I'm taking the time to replace them.

Well I've been told a few different stories about injectors but no one really knows anything for sure. All my mechanic friends just assume they always work fine and if they don't work good they just recommend buying different ones.

Now that some porting is being done I should give me plenty of time to get them taken care of. Now to find a good business to service them...
Unread 12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Admin

So I've found some great information about a injector performance business called Witch Hunter. The owner answered the call and addressed every single question I had and threw me some good bits of knowledge as well. He seems to know exactly what he's doing and their website is the best I've seen in the field. They don't hide information from you and actually display tips on keeping injectors healthy and show you what's inside of them.

From reading the information on their website I probably know more about injectors than 80% of the professional mechanics around here. Needless to say my injectors are heading out in the mail first thing in the morning. I just hope none of them need to be replaced being how they are vintage. B)
Unread 12-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Admin

Alright! I got my injectors back in the mail, woohoo! Problem solved and they are all working like new. I was worried I would be replacing them.

So as you can see my injectors were in horrible shape when I took them out. The pintel caps were all cracked and not suitable to use under any circumstances. I looked through many sources for replacement parts and they are super hard to source. Even if you do find the grommets they are expensive. I gave up and decided to send them to a professional seeing how they are vital to the engines performance. I was worried about how well they would work because they are so old so I definitely wanted to get a professional opinion and a proper cleaning. I was pretty weary of who to send them to because I've seen people charge $40 a piece just to clean them... and then they take a couple weeks and you don't have any proof that they even did anything.

I read a post from a person that had a rough idle in his Tundra I-Force and no one could figure it out. So he took out his injectors on his own and sent them in. His truck was only 4 years old. He sent them to Witchhunter and all his problems were solved. After seeing his printout from his relatively new injectors I knew I had to send mine in for sure.

After a lot of searching around for a professional and reputable fuel injector business I found the best in the business - Witchhunter Performance.
I spoke with the owner, Gordon, about what I needed before I sent them in. He assured me that they would be serviced correctly and all the grommets, o-rings and pintel caps would be replaced without any worries. He had all the information on the website to explain exactly how and where they are to be packaged and shipped. He even has tips on injector performance and how you can help them stay cleaner longer. Make sure and give his website a read. I have never seen as much specific information on a website and no mechanic I have talked to knows injectors well at all.

http://witchhunter.com/

I sent my injectors in on the 15th of this December by USPS priority mail and they arrived back to me yesterday December 23 by USPS. Not bad! On the shipping invoice he shows record of the arrival date as well as the date the injectors are shipped. Also noted on the invoice was the comment, "Turned out good, were in bad shape upon arrival". Both true. The total for my 8 injectors being cleaned with new rubber was only $127.50 which is an amazing deal in my book.

I have no doubt in my mind that the engine will run better after this cleaning. This is probably the cheapest way to improve engine performance. Here are my results:

A big thanks to Gordon over at Witchhunter.
Unread 12-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Admin

Here are some pictures of the injectors cleaned and lined up just before I sent them out. I kept the seals that are pictures since Witchhunter replaces them all during the cleaning! The cost me a pretty penny :huh: O well I might get some use out of them on another Toy engine.

This is a close up of the injector "naked" and the one on the right has the last pintel cap on that wasn't destroyed/cracked with new seals. Of course I stripped it down and sent it in with the set after this picture.

Unread 12-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Admin

And here are a couple pictures of an injector all tuned up and ready to install. They all look great.

Unread 12-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Admin

Here are great links for reference and information: http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php4 http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

It will be interesting to see if my injectors will be able to keep up the Air/Fuel (A/F) ratio when my engines up and running.