FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM

Default Opinon:

My '63 CA95 has beautiful original deep black paint that I grade as high 90's.. Folks always say "man is that paint original, wow".

Problem that is bugging me, there are some deep scratches only on the front top edge of the front fender that detracts (to me) from this beautiful project. Debating whether to:

1) Leave it alone and keep it all original.
2) Paint the fender with epoxy enamels.
3) Powder coat the front fender.

Picky, loco...over the top; I know! I have put so many, many hours restoring this beauty, down to the finest detail. I will never get a return on my investment, not even close......but I understand that fully.

What really bothers me, is that the powder coat folks have a $200 minimum, one piece or the whole frame, sandblasted and coated.
Is it worth it keeping the original paint.....too crazy much for only the front fender.........I know some of you have been through this before...Thoughts?

Last edited by 1911tex; 08-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Interesting dilemma, Tex. First, any chance we can see some pictures? Next, how certain are you that the paint is original? I've never thought the original black Honda paint was ever very 'deep'.

If the paint is indeed original, I'd say to leave it alone. There are fewer and fewer originals left, so even if you don't like it as much, a future owner might really appreciate the original paint.

Of course, we're not talking about some 1922 Indian barn find - it's a Benly. If the scratches bother you that much, you'd also not likely be happy with painting only the fender - seems like it would similarly stand-out as being different from the rest of the bike. In the end, do what ever makes you happy, even if the whole bike gets repainted.
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:52 AM

ByTheLake: My posting on 8/2/12 titled "My 1963 CA95 is finally roadworthy !" shows a picture and you can see the front fender scratches. The paint was dull when I purchased it a couple of years ago; then polished it out for the shine. My local Honda dealer's paint shop foreman told me the paint was original, but that is the only evidence I have. He also noted a couple of chalk marks on the frame from the manufacturers' quality control...which he gave as evidence. That is all I have to go on. I think for now I will live with the scratches.......this is never going to be a 100 point machine, but I do enjoy taking it to shows. I am just one of those nit pickers and need to get over it.
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM

It's only original once. You can "fix" some scratches. I have used Testors model paint to match my red Ca160 with original paint. Simply fill in the scratch with paint so the new paint stands a little "proud" of the painted fender surface. Don't be afraid to go over the edges a bit. Now sand with 400, 600, 1000 grit only in the local areas (you can mask off the area). Once sanded to be flush with the rest of the surface you can then compound and polish. Remove the masking and compound and polish a little greater area to blend. At worst it is better than raw metal and at best undetectable. This used to be the way to touch up cars when they are painted with enamel (which Testors is).
Best of luck...
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Larzfromarz: Thanks, great "how-to"; I'll give it a try...and it's basic black, so may blend in pretty good.
Unread 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM

If your going to touch up the paint, use a pin stripers brush. You can draw a razor thin line and or a tiny dot. Be careful with "fixing" old paint. the end result may be worst than what you started with. My trick with old paint is an old school technique. Apply a thin coat of Boiled Lindseed Oil on a rag to the paint..or plastic for that matter. Rub to a shine. It's great protection against rust and moisture. The scratches will be less noticable.

I have used Boiled Lindseed Oil on Horse Trailers and faded gelcoat on a boat I had years ago.
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Spokes: You just reminded me.......boiled lindseed oil.....used to use that on gun stocks as well, did not know it could have a positive effect on paint scratches...will try that first 'cause I have some. Thanks.