FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Tools, Machines and Shop Toys

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Dirt Bike Tire Changing Tools

Well I'm lucky enough to have a great motorcycle shop near me that offers tires and installation so affordable that I haven't had to do any dirt bike tire changes in a couple years. I always opt for the heavy duty tube and a brand new Dunlop Geomax tire. No flats ever - so far on our bikes. I have had to change tires for friends on the trail due to low pressure and neglect on their part. No fun but they end up owing me favors so it works out.

Now I'm on the hunt for some new tire changing tools just to be prepared for the longer dirt bike trips I plan on taking. I've been doing a lot of looking around and keeping an eye on what the pros are using. I'm quick at changing tires but there is always room for learning new techniques from the masters. Here is the most impressive video I've seen about changing tires. This was done by a Dunlop tire rep and if you can imagine their life consists of changing thousands of tires!! Watch and learn how the pros do it - not just some wanna be mechanic wearing a polo shirt doing it for the 5th time. This guy knows his stuff! Best dirt bike tire changing video out there.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Admin

I've also looked high and low for experienced comments on what tools to use. If you are taking old stubborn tires off then yeah, bigger tire irons and spoons are what you need. But for most any dirt bike tire I have seen that the Motion Pro type tire spoons are all you need. 2 will do but 3 might be easier for most people. Some baby powder or tire grease and a Bead Buddy tire holder and you are set. I've always done it on the ground using my kneed to hold the tire bead but I will be making a tire stand exactly as the Dunlop guy uses in the above video. That would be a compact and easy to use solution. Of course he makes it look easy but all it takes is a little practice. I'm not about to buy a machine or some adjustable tire apparatus that has to be set up for each wheel you put on it. Dirt bike tires are pretty easy to change and really easy if you heat them up or leave them in the sun for an hour before.
  • Gloves!
  • Motion Pro Tire Spoons
  • Baby powder / tire grease
  • Bead Buddy tire holder
  • New heavy duty tube
  • Wrench for bead lock
  • Compressed air is nice
  • Tire gauge

Last edited by Smithers; 07-02-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:30 PM

I have a nice half inch split in my forehead from a slipped screwdriver(not supposed to use those for tire irons right?). Funny the blood hit the floor before my eyes opened- Thank GOD for safety glasses.
My last tire I cut off with bolt cutters. Just cut the bead on the old one. Do you have an air hose you can connect to the cylinder to use the engine to pump a tire in the field?
In the aircraft world you always put a bit of talcum powder in the tire carcass before installing the tube. Dish soap works well on the bead too.
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Admin

Wow glad you had eye protection on! With safety glasses so comfortable and even inexpensive it's a real shame not to use them. I have a few pairs laying around so I always have some within reach of my machines. You can never keep track of just one pair.

Connect an air hose to a one-way valve and an air chuck huh? Sounds interesting. I'll have to do some looking around for something like that. Have you any info on this?

Powder on the tube and bead of tire sounds like the trick. In the video the Dunlop guy uses plain ol Windex. I'm going to give that a try next time.
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:45 AM

I haven't actually seen it but read about it. I think I guy just cut of a spark plug and made a hose arrangement with a chuck on it. Remove a plug and connect the hose. If a multi cylinder engine I believe you can crank the engine (probably fuel off) and pump up the tire in the field. I'd suppose you could do the same on a single even with just a kicker and strong leg. Some air better must be than none when flat.