FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 02-20-2010, 03:26 PM
jfp350 jfp350 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
Default 1971 Honda CL70 please help me get it running

Hello my name is John, I have had the hardest time finding people with knowledge and experience with CL70s and was happy to find your forum.

I purchased a 1971 Honda CL70 in sapphire blue last year for $200 off craigslist and I hope you can help me to get it running and riding. It currently has no spark.

previous owner claimed to have it running but then connected a 12volt (suppose to be 6v) battery to it and it would not run after that. I am trying to figure out what damage he caused by doing that. I have purchased another wiring harness, stator, and rectifier but are all used parts off a non running bike. My weak point is electrical and I have no idea how to test any of the components on the bike or the ones I bought. The harness on it now is pretty hacked up as you can tell in the photo. I have no clue where to start.

motor turns and has good compression, so I think if I can get it sparking I will have a good chance of running it.

If you could guide me along and help me get this running this summer I will be very happy and thankful. please help.
here is the bike when I got it.











here is it after some cleaning up, and a better tank, since the picture the fork ears have been changed to chrome. I also rewired the handlebar and changed the speedometer.


Last edited by jfp350; 02-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
hahnda hahnda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cameron, WI
Posts: 31
Default

Have you checked the points? Any spark at the points?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM
jfp350 jfp350 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
Default

I replaced the points, dont know that I have them adjusted right but figured I would see some sort of spark anyhow.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
hahnda hahnda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cameron, WI
Posts: 31
Default

Well if they never open you wont get a spark. I would check to see if they are opening when you turn the engine over.

Any lights coming on when you turn the key on?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:38 PM
jfp350 jfp350 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
Default

I found a guide to use to set them and going to make sure its right.

lights do not turn on, I think the guy blew them all out when he connected the 12 volt.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM
hahnda hahnda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cameron, WI
Posts: 31
Default

Fuse?

Are you sure the ignition is on?

I assume you have a wiring diagram to follow?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:13 PM
jfp350 jfp350 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
Fuse?

Are you sure the ignition is on?

I assume you have a wiring diagram to follow?
guy had no fuse in line when he plugged in the 12v, positive the ignition is on.

I have a wiring diagram from this site
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:16 PM
hahnda hahnda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cameron, WI
Posts: 31
Default

Do you have a test light or meter? Just trying to figure out a way for you to make sure there is power at the points.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
jfp350 jfp350 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
Do you have a test light or meter? Just trying to figure out a way for you to make sure there is power at the points.
I know I have a meter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Smithers's Avatar
Smithers Smithers is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 3,237
Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default

Just hooking up a 12V and trying to run it ain't gonna just magically blow things out... well might blow out that little fuse on the wire going to the battery. That's what that fuse is there for! I hope yours wasn't bypassed for some reason. Some fools just go and buy the biggest fuse they can get their hands on and slap it in there to try and make it run. Might as well just hardwire right by it if your gonna do that.... dummies.

Just don't even plug in any of the wires going to the handlbars. Lights, horn, dimmer, neutral light, all that junk isn't needed to just fire the engine. All those circuit just add more possibility for shorting from exposed wires. Just make sure to plug in the ignition switch, the coil and rectifier and get it going. A LOT of old Hondas have bare wires near the steering head that keep them from running. Also right where the wires go into the headlight assembly there is very high chance of shorting. They have to been in pretty good shape.

Also the 6V battery has to be charged up and in good condition for the bike to get enough spark to start up. Then the charging system takes over but the battery is SO small that it will discharge quickly while you are trying and trying to kick the bike over to get it going. Make sure you have one of those Battery Tender things on it all the time until you have a smooth running CL70.

How many miles are on it? That bike looks to be in great shape! I bet the engine runs like new... when you get it running that is. I don't think it should be that hard for you. You'll get it going I know. Don't toss that old tank unless finding a new one isn't that hard... I know my 69 would be near impossible to find another one. I would have fixed the one you took off.

Keep at it. These are probably the best pit and race track bikes ever. I took mine to Laguna Seca the other year and it was awesome to use to cruise around back and forth around the whole area. Anything larger than one of these is miserable to maneuver around the tight areas and anything smaller is a kiddy bike.

And I don't see ANY corrosion on your bike! You got a good one for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Smithers's Avatar
Smithers Smithers is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 3,237
Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default

I got new fork seals for mine too. These things would benefit greatly from new oil and seals. I can't wait to do mine and put up some pictures and stuff about it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:02 PM
jfp350 jfp350 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Thanks for getting back to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Just hooking up a 12V and trying to run it ain't gonna just magically blow things out... well might blow out that little fuse on the wire going to the battery. That's what that fuse is there for! I hope yours wasn't bypassed for some reason. Some fools just go and buy the biggest fuse they can get their hands on and slap it in there to try and make it run. Might as well just hardwire right by it if your gonna do that.... dummies.
unfortunately I am almost positive he had no fuse in line when he hooked up the 12 volt. He hardwired the battery right in and the fuse was bypassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Just don't even plug in any of the wires going to the handlbars. Lights, horn, dimmer, neutral light, all that junk isn't needed to just fire the engine. All those circuit just add more possibility for shorting from exposed wires. Just make sure to plug in the ignition switch, the coil and rectifier and get it going. A LOT of old Hondas have bare wires near the steering head that keep them from running. Also right where the wires go into the headlight assembly there is very high chance of shorting. They have to been in pretty good shape.
That is a good Idea, I should probably tape all the wire ends off to make sure they don't touch anything also. perhaps I can take the harness out and inspect it for bare wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Also the 6V battery has to be charged up and in good condition for the bike to get enough spark to start up. Then the charging system takes over but the battery is SO small that it will discharge quickly while you are trying and trying to kick the bike over to get it going. Make sure you have one of those Battery Tender things on it all the time until you have a smooth running CL70.
I have always been told a battery has no affect on these bikes running besides lighting and as long as it is hooked up or bypassed It will start.I thought all the power need to spark was generated by the stator. I will still replace the battery to rule this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
How many miles are on it? That bike looks to be in great shape! I bet the engine runs like new... when you get it running that is. I don't think it should be that hard for you. You'll get it going I know. Don't toss that old tank unless finding a new one isn't that hard... I know my 69 would be near impossible to find another one. I would have fixed the one you took off.
Hard to tell the miles when I got it the speedometer was cracked and the inside rusted locking the numbers in place, appears to be around 2000-3000 miles. I sold the old tank the new one is in the last picture, even though it does not have the stripe to match it is much less dented. But you are right these tanks are very hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Keep at it. These are probably the best pit and race track bikes ever. I took mine to Laguna Seca the other year and it was awesome to use to cruise around back and forth around the whole area. Anything larger than one of these is miserable to maneuver around the tight areas and anything smaller is a kiddy bike.

And I don't see ANY corrosion on your bike! You got a good one for sure.
That sounds awesome, I would love to do that some day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:07 PM
jfp350 jfp350 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
I got new fork seals for mine too. These things would benefit greatly from new oil and seals. I can't wait to do mine and put up some pictures and stuff about it.
I am debating weather to get the full rebuild kit or just the seals and boots. The shock rebuild kit I used on my ct70 with the same front suspension included stiffer springs, the seals, caps, and boots all for around $25.

definitely keep your build updated with pics
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM
hahnda hahnda is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cameron, WI
Posts: 31
Default

These bikes do not have a magneto. You need to have a charged battery in the circuit to get spark. All the other components just keep that battery charged.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Smithers's Avatar
Smithers Smithers is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 3,237
Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default

Just to help everyone out who is questioning this topic of whether old Honda motorcycles need to have batteries in them to run:

ALL OLD HONDA MOTORCYCLES WILL NOT RUN WITHOUT A CHARGED BATTERY IN THEM

Now this is a rumor I have heard about when you try and run one of these older Hondas with a wrong 12V battery (when it calls for a 6V) or run it without a battery: I have read that you risk blowing out or damaging the rectifier. I haven't EVER had a malfunctioning rectifier in my life in all my motorcycle adventures (many many many different motorcycles) so I can't see the logic in this. I even worked on a Honda Express 1980 scooter that was acquired from a monkey that tried to run it with a 12V battery. I just put the proper battery in it and rebuilt the carb and it runs great so it wasn't damaged from the wrong battery.

The CL70 6V battery is very very small and has virtually no reserve power in it and must be on a Battery Tender or equivalent device to stay charged. It might stay charged enough to start after sitting for a month MAYBE but that's about it. I have had a couple brand new ones in mine over the years and they poop out quick. Here is a good example for anyone to try on this model. When you go to your CL70 go hold the horn down and see how long it goes until it slowly dies.... yeah like one minute MAYBE haha fun little bikes. I actually hard wired all the connectors in the wiring harness and the blinkers actually work now and all the lights are much brighter and the horn works 3x as loud.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.