FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Kawasaki Triple H1 and H2

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Kawasaki H2 750 Triple Engine in 1990 ZX-7 Chassis

This is the best idea I've seen in a long time. My dad has a Kawasaki H2 that I LOVE to ride when I get the chance. The motor is insanely powerful and scary but the original chassis and brakes can't even keep up with it. The solution?? Scroll down to see the most fun motorcycle collaboration ever... it looks like a 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 frame and chassis with a 1970s Kawasaki H2 750cc or H1 500cc engine. For those who don't know this is a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine that puffs smoke like a freight train and pulls some serious horsepower.

The engine looks properly aligned and now it needs some mounts fabricated.
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Admin

Here are a couple shots of the Kawasaki H2 engine from the front. What a great idea! I spotted this project in the parking lot of a dealer. I'll have to find out more about it and who's the master mechanic on this project.

Can anyone tell if this engine is a H1 500 or the H2 750? I am familiar with the engines but I can't quite discern which model is which just by looking at it. I have a feeling it might be the smaller H1 engine.

Last I remember my dad still has a spare H2 engine with some trick parts on it. I need to find out if he still has it!!
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Admin

Here is a couple pictures of my dads Kawasaki just before I went out for an afternoon cruise. It's all original and it's awesome to ride! Eat your heart out suckers! :lol:

And my most favorite H2 picture. The paint job that Kawasaki put on these bikes was perfect. What a great bike. My dad used to have a blue one with the electronic ignition but someone made him a great offer on it in the mid 90's. Boy I wish he would have kept it. When you turned on the ignition you could hear the electronics hum loudly before the engine started and drowned out the noise. Ahhh what a sweet running bike.

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Admin

Here is a great write up of the history of the H2 Mach IV bike and other similar models. This site is one of the rare links that doesn't lead you to some copy-and-paste webpage with tons of ads.

A nice read about the Kawasaki Triples.
Motorcycle Hall of Fame - Kawasaki Triples

Here is another link I just found that has parts for sale that go way back to the era. They also have a neat selection of Cafe style bike parts. I'm going to have to read into this seller later. Looks professional and filled with goodies. I'm starting to think about building a cafe now...

Old Bike Barn.com

Here is a nice website that sells old bike parts but most importantly knows what you need for your Kawasaki Triple. I like the category for the triple parts is described as "fast'n smokey - just hang on" which is exactly right. They must have experience with them indeed.

Z1 Enterprises Classic Motorcycle Parts
Unread 10-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Admin

I'm getting more and more inspired to build the hybrid Aprilia chassis + Kawasaki 500 triple engine machine. I've been riding around a friends Suzuki Vstrom 650 and having a bike for running errands and quick rides to visit friends is really really nice. My Aprilia MilleR is just too much of a race bike to ride all the time for just such tasks now. Having a Tuono style Aprilia would be just the right solution. The riding position would be just the answer for a scooter that I could jump on and ride with my tennis shoes.

Here are a couple of Aprilia Mille bikes converted to Tuono status which is basically what I would be building. A streetfighter / nakid bike from all my left over Mille parts! But of course it would have the 2 stroke 500cc triple powering it.

Unread 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Admin

And getting updated on the ZX-7 project I met the man himself who is putting the masterpiece together. Mike down at Central Coast Mechanics in San Luis Obispo was happy to show me around the shop and also let me take some spy pictures of his 1990 ZX-7 H2 750 project. Here is a picture he sent me of when he had the engine in the chassis and running before tearing it down for some engine work. Notice the smoke coming out the pipes.

Unread 12-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Admin

YES! I got some pictures of the hot machine with my Canon SD1000 camera. The above pictures were taken with the red Palm Centro which is the RED phone on the right and the pictures below were taken with my Canon SD1000 which does a great job for such a little camera. For 7.1 MegaPixels it doesn't get much smaller than this. Plus the battery last a loooong time. Love that cam. I have a Canon G5 for taking the money shots but I rarely pull that out unless I got to a convention or something.

It's not pro quality but I rode the APrilia by the shop yesterday and this little camera is perfect for throwing in your pocket. Now check out the details on Mikes project! I can't wait to see it running. It seems like the time to start it up is far off but really he has all the parts and just needs to stay inspired. I think he should keep the ZX paint job IMO. =]

Check out the coils and carbs hanging there ready to hook up!
Unread 12-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Admin

Now lets get a little closer to the engine. Here we can see he has a new Barnett clutch ready to rip.

To connect the clutch cable to control the clutch rod Mike has sourced an excellent little unit that he says is made in Hawaii. He says this is essential as this engine is going to need a solid unit to control the power. Look closely at the shiny part to see what I'm talking about. What is that thingy called again?

Unread 12-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Admin

Might as well have a look down into the crank case. Something about the later engine crankcases being combined with the earlier heads... 4th overbore, basically an 800cc.

Unread 12-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Admin

The orientation of the carbs will be very important. He would like to see the engine running with 3 Keihin flat slide carbs attached but that fabrication project might be coming along later once the bike is all together.

Another shot from a little higher up. Mike is stepping in here as the stunt hand during this shot.
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Admin

Mike has also recently made me aware that he has recently linked a phorum of awesome Kawasaki fans over to my thread to show off his project. A big WeLcOmE to everyone and feel free to look around. I'm not out to steal forum members or have a competing forum or any of that BS. Just posting pics and information for everyone to enjoy and I hope to inspire other projects and such tinkering. Feel free to send me some pictures if you feel generous.

And here is the other hot Kawasaki forum - www.kawasakitriplesworldwide.com - on the net that is packed with Kawi nuts alike. I'm sure I'll be over there myself looking up information and asking advise.

Also for all the 2stroke nuts out there this member on another forum that I frequent has found a couple of 80's racing 2 strokes that he is playing with and it sounds like he wouldn't mind passing on the projects if anyone might need the parts? I dunno but I'm sure someone somewhere might want to take his projects over. THey look fun! I wish I had the time. The bikes are a 1989 Honda NSR250 and black Suzuki 1993 RGV250 over at the www.Apriliaforum.com. Man those look like fun.

OK back on the subject... no more interruptions.
Unread 09-12-2009, 06:44 AM

Any updates on the H2 or other bikes for sale?
Unread 09-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Admin

I haven't stopped by to see how the bike has been doing in a while. I'll put that on the list of things to do this week. I'm curious myself. Poking around Youtube I found this video of a lot of triples hanging around cannery row. It was new to me. I've never seen so many triple in one place.

Click the "I AGREE" to watch, click the video window again when it opens to open the Youtube video in a new window at the Youtube site if you want.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:55 PM

I had an H2 when I was in high school. Scary fast. Even scarier in the corners (they handle like crap). I split the cases at least five times putting in another first gear. I drove it around without first most of the time. If you have ever driven a 2-stroke on the the street without a first gear you would realize how crazy this was. There is no power in a 2-stroke outside the powerband, and then ..........

Interesting build. Makes me want my old H2 again, in a new frame.
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Admin

My dad collected the H1 and H2 bikes when I was young and a couple times he would let me take off and go ride around on them when I was 14-15 years old. I grew up riding 2 stroke bikes and had raced a couple enduros on them in the dirt by then so I could handle em but I was super careful. I knew they could hurt me so I took it easy in the corners and opened it up on the straights. I couldn't imagine owning one to ride around in high school whenever I wanted.... that's anarchy!

I really miss riding them. I think about putting an H1 engine in a modern frame all the time. I have a spare engine and I think the 500 would get better fuel mileage which would be nice if I wanted to actually go somewhere on it. Hmmmm...