FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Kawasaki Triple H1 and H2

Unread 04-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Kawasaki H1 500cc + Aprilia Mille Chassis

Ok I'm giving in. I can't take it anymore. I'm going to put a 3 cylinder - 2 stroke Kawasaki engine in a Aprilia Mille chassis and ride it. I have a race prepped 500cc Kawi 2stroke engine sitting on the shelf and I've always wanted to use it somehow. Since I've upgraded my Mille RSV to the "R" standard I have a extra set of Showa forks, Sachs rear shock, a set of rims and now I've been collecting some other stuff from my repair work I've been doing since my lowside wreck. My lowside on a nice Sunday morning ride...

How sweet would that be? I've ALWAYS wanted a 2 stroke streetbike and after seeing this 1990 Kawasaki ZX-7 get the 2-stroke treatment I'm convinced that the same motor in an even better chassis would be killer. Nothing is more manly than kick starting your streetbike either. B)

Now all I need is a frame, swingarm and some other bits... I'm on my way boys!
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Admin

Here is my inspiration. A 500cc Kawi triple going in a 1991 ZX-7 Kawasaki Ninja! - http://www.fourwheelforum.com/index.php?showtopic=186

I've seen the start of this project and I was really happy to see someone using the Kawasaki Triple engine in a more modern bike! This engine is awesome and everyone deserves to ride one in his or her lifetime. It's really an insane engine for its time! I'm sure when I put that engine in my Aprilia chassis and start riding it that I'll be able to keep up with most every sport rider out there on the road. Yeah I know I won't have a chance to keep up with someone who is using 85% of their inline 4 engine power from like a newer Suzuki or Honda, Kawasaki BUT in the turns and in real life rod riding this 500cc triple will keep up just fine. Hell, if I can keep up with my sport riding friends hauling a$$ on the fwy and some back roads on a V-strom 650 than I can do it on an Aprilia bike powered by a 3 cylinder triple. :lol:
Unread 10-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Admin

Well I'm kinda getting amped up about this project so I decided to take advantage of a sportbike tire sale at Cycle Gear that was going on today. They had package deals on Pirelli Diablo tires and also Bridgestone BT-016 tires. So I picked up a set of tires for under $200. Can't beat that deal and now I have tires for my Aprilia/ Kawi project bike.

Unread 12-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Admin

Looks like someone else is also making a sweet bike using an Aprilia Mille chassis as well. He's going the cafe racer route and it's looking great!

http://www.motorcyclebuilders.net/fo...hread.php?t=79

Unread 12-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Admin

I'm getting more and more inspired to build the hybrid Aprilia chassis + Kawasaki 500 triple engine machine. I've been riding around a friends Suzuki Vstrom 650 and having a bike for running errands and quick rides to visit friends is really really nice. My Aprilia MilleR is just too much of a race bike to ride all the time for just such tasks now. Having a Tuono style Aprilia would be just the right solution. The riding position would be just the answer for a scooter that I could jump on and ride with my tennis shoes.

Here are a couple of Aprilia Mille bikes converted to Tuono status which is basically what I would be building. A streetfighter / nakid bike from all my left over Mille parts! But of course it would have the 2 stroke 500cc triple powering it.

Unread 12-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Admin

One great thing about using a 500cc compared to a 750... it will be way easier to start. I want to ride this bike all over and having the lower fuel consumption and not being owned by the kick starter will be great! Here is a nice civilized video of how nice an H1 can be to ride. Notice how nice and calm he is when he kick starts it. Very nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0BS...eature=related

And I can't wait to start making some pipes for this bad boy. I already have a could Toomey Racing 2stroke mufflers and they will look sweet tucked up on the back of this Frankenstein. If you need a quick lesson in expansion chamber technology (more like theory) have a look at this debriefing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhkIa...eature=related

Haha I had to laugh when I saw this. The creator of this video goes through the theory behind his engine rebuilding and does an ok job of explaining his madness. Catland engine shop presents.... the 1975 H1 engine rebuild!
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Admin

Here it is fresh off the freight truck! My buddy Roland in Ohio strapped the ol Aprilia Mille frame on a pallet and I sent a truck to go pick it up and bring it here out west.

Unread 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Admin

And here we go - the frame is here in it's new home and it's actually pretty nice looking on it's own. It's pretty interesting how light the frame and swingarm are considering how much abuse they can take. I wouldn't mind just hanging it up from the rafters to look at.

It's going to take some serious fabrication to make the H1 500cc engine to fit inside the frame. I'll be doing some measuring when I have some spare time but I'm pretty motivated to put this project together. I just love how slim my Aprilia Mille bike is and when I ride anyone elses motorcycle I always have to get used to how wide their bike is compared to mine. Having a really quick handling bike with the Kawi triple engine is my goal. It's been a dream to have that awesome sounding engine in a frame that could actually handle and see what it could do.

Hopefully I'll get to ride this project someday.