FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Restoration & Fabrication Techniques

Restoration & Fabrication Techniques Doing things right the first time.

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:43 AM

Default Rust Removal (Wheel Example)

Building or restoring any metal project may need to be cleaned up to be salvaged. I want to share a cool technique that I do to make an otherwise hopeless rusty part into a rust free item.

My example is a way rusty CA95 rim.

The rim seems pretty rough and was purchased for low money.
Next purchase some Prep & Etch from Home Depot

Then buy a plastic tote to fit your part(my tote way large to fit a wheel) Remeber that any container will work depending on the size of your parts!

Fill the container with a 5 to 1 mixture of Prep & Etch. Make as much as you need. You can reuse the solution. Just filter through 0000 steel wool.

Once the container and solution is made soak the (wheel) in the solution for several hours or overnight.

Out of the bath the rim looks like this

After using some liquid chrome cleaner the rim is clean

Heavy corrosion on the inside of the rim or any part will have to be ground off. The chrome in the pic is damaged, but the rim would look fairly nice.

NOTE! DISPOSAL: NEUTALIZE WITH BAKING SODA. MUCH FOAMING WILL HAPPEN DURING THE NEUTRALIZING STEP. RINSE ANY SPILLED SOLUTION WITH BAKING SODE SOLUTION. TRY TO REUSE THE SOLUTION!

WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND GLOVES!

Also note that Phosphoric Acid Solution at a 5 to 1 mixture is fairly weak and of course you drink sweetened phosphoric acid....it's called Pepsi Cola, Coca Cola & The like.

This solution will darked aluminum. Brighten aluminum with 0000 steel wool. Try not to use this technique on aluminum..That's a whole other technique that requires more steps.
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Another Chicom Spammer!

Last edited by Spokes; 09-03-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: correction
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Here are a final couple of pics. The hub and spokes have been removed from the rim. I soaked the rim in a Phos bath for 4 days and then sandblasted the inside surface. I then took a brass wire wheel to the surface to produce a rust free surface. The surface is pitted but the rim is salvageable. I then masked off the inside to apply a 2 part primer then an acrylic enamel overcoat.

After painting and buffing the inside chrome I intend to polish the hub to a mirror shine, re-lace the hub to the rim and true the wheel. Then it will be ready for rubber

Last edited by Spokes; 09-04-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fix
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:45 AM

I painted the inside rim as forementioned and found pin holes near the spoke mounts. All in all, the procedure works well, but it also may indicate that the part is faulty. The rim needs to be replaced.