FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Dodge 2500 Diesel Talk

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Amp Research Power Board Automatic Steps Installed

Some power running board steps came into my possession recently and I made sure to get some pictures. These were sold under the Bestop brand and I've always been a big fan of them. I've never had any myself until now but I have friends with them on their trucks and they are really cool. Of course they fold down when you open the doors but they also have lights on them which are pretty neat. They include a small computer that plugs into the harness. When the powerboards hit an obstruction they pause without stripping the gears out or breaking your foot in case you get stuck for some reason.

Last edited by Smithers; 01-27-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Admin

First things first... racking the truck up on the lift. I would never want to try and put these on a truck for my first time without a lift. I'm sure I could do it now but to actually be messing around underneath a truck trying to figure out how to install them for the first time would be hell!

Unread 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Admin

More to come later.

These were not that easy to install at all. I don't recommend putting these on yourself. Most importantly you won't get any support for these in the event that they fail or break. These Powerboards are somewhat complicated and have a lot of moving parts. It would really be a bummer if one were to fail on you and you had a set of non-working boards. There is the potential that the bracket could break because of a bad mounting surface, a mounting surface that isn't exactly in alignment with the brackets (one broke on me like this!), a bad motor or a bad computer module. All of these potential breakages are expensive and if you have them installed a verified dealer then they can warranty the bad part out and help you fix them really easy. If you buy these online and install them yourself you are totally on your own when it comes to troubleshooting and repair. These are something you want to depend on everyday and you don't want them to break under your weight when you are stepping into your truck. Please have a dealer install these for you and avoid all the hassle. Mine broke right off the bat and if I didn't have a good relation with an installation shop I would be up $&:t creek if you know what I mean.