FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Default New Old Stock Tank ID

Can someone help my identify this tank? I am resoring a 1964 CA95 and bought a seperate parts bike (also a 64 CA95) from a dealer. The dealer threw in a NOS tank and it "fit". Only after getting it home and really looking at it did I see it's not the same. This one has C shaped holder in the front and 2 bottom mounts. My CA95 has 4 bottom mounts. It's sooooo cool to see a NOS tank, never had gas in it, original primer, it even has a small tab on the front to hang it while painting, then you break it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0109.JPG (174.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0110.JPG (180.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0111.JPG (127.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0112.JPG (164.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0114.JPG (132.4 KB, 11 views)
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:08 AM

It is a cool tank for sure. But I don't think it's for the CA95. The fuel mount is on the wrong side and there are dimples in the bottom. My guess is the tank may be for an early CA77 (305) or another dream model. Your tank might be a real rare find even if not a CA95 tank.
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM

I may have the same tank on my 64 ca95. My tank has the same style mounting cups on the front. It hard to tell from the pics but the tabs for mounting the chrome side panels on your tank might be different from mine. I just bought some chrome panels on a bit of a gamble if they will fit.

Someone has done some work on the underside of my tank and filled in the hole for the petcock. If my tank had dimples they may have also been filled in.
I have not yet decided what route to take with my tank. I suspect it was filled in so an inline petcock could be used, I would rather have the original petcock so I could have a reserve. If I can locate a rebuildable retcock I will sand the paint of the bottom of my tank to have a look see at whats been done.

it's good to know I should look to see if there are dimples that were filled in and how/ what materials were used.

Tags
fuel tank, honda, nos