FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-17-2014, 03:18 PM

Default A Scrambler Question

Sorry for so much off topic stuff but in getting to know some of you a little I've learned many of us have a wide variety of interests, so, if this is too far off topic let me know.
A friend of mine is offering me the Scrambler with the tank badge if I get the Scrambler without the tank badge running for him. Since I have no common sense and I never keep track of how much time I spend on a project this seems like a no brainer to me. Scramblers are not my favorite bike but I did ride one quite a bit back around 1972, straight pipes and loud.

my scrambler.jpg

jimmys scrambler.jpg

Last edited by Steverinomeiste; 10-17-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: ludite
Unread 10-17-2014, 04:52 PM

No Deal.

The "payment" scrambler is worth $400. The scrambler to repair will take 120 hours and $600
worth of parts(tubes, tires, bearings, cables, chemicals, paint etc.) and I assume it needs engine work.

Then you will be reporting your progress to this person for the duration of the project. After the project is complete, you will be the contact person for everything that goes wrong. God forbid you forget something and someone gets hurt.(which is why I sell my projects and do not take on this type of deal)

If you must take on the project, buy the bike to be repaired and offer this person 1st right of refusal when you sell it. I am repairing a 1985 Honda VT700 Shadow. I bought it and indeed offer the seller 1st right of refusal when I sell it. When and if the buy back occurs, write a receipt indicating no warrantee and remain free from liability should injury occur as the buyer is fully aware of the risks of motorcycle riding and have the buyer sign it.

IMO, sometimes "no" is the best decision.
Unread 10-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Hey, Steve. Sounds like an interesting project.

I had a similar experience recently, where a neighbor decided that he wanted to ride his '66 CL77 Scrambler after it sat unused for 12 years. It had dual points, which was interesting to adjust. The valve rockers had the biggest gaps I've ever encountered - I could put my small finger in the gap. I presume somebody loosened the adjusters and forgot to set them.

Anyway, it runs great now. I didn't care much for the ride, though - it rides tall, almost like an adventure bike today. The scrambler has the 180 degree crank, and sounds interesting compared to the 360 degree crank in the CA77 Dream 305. Almost like a Harley, with uneven pulses.

Tomorrow I'm replacing the clutch on this bike. In the pic below, the seat was off for maintenance work.

Unread 10-19-2014, 03:52 PM

He did say run and not restore right?...
If all you have to do is get it to run jump on it...File the points, bypass the wiring and wire the coils directly, clean the plugs, look at all four carbs for the best of them, fire the bike up. You could make a go no go decision in about 30 minutes of inspection.
My 2 cents.
L
Unread 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM

I need to nail down what jimmys expectations are, but, he said "Maybe I ought to give you that one for getting this one running for me." I took that to mean, no paint no polish, just getting it running with all systems functioning. I was figuring on freeing up brakes, cables etc, . A real big deal of course is the condition of the inside of the tank, which I haven't checked yet.
Unread 10-26-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Superhawk shows up in my Shed

Hi Everyone:
I went out to my shed to get some primer last night. I grabbed my flashlight. First thing I noticed was the shadow of a bike parked in the entry way. I thought Jimmy had dropped off one of the Scramblers. Funny how long it takes the brain to make sense out of something unexpected. I stood there staring. Low pipes? Chrome Tank? Wait a minute. I'm not looking at a Scrambler, this is a Hawk. I thought my son and I had got Jimmy's complete tour last week but apparently not. There had been no Hawk sighting. The only thing I can figure is he wants to trade this CB77 for me fixing up his Scrambler and using the second Scrambler for parts. At least that's what I hope he wants. I am going to try to get hold of him this afternoon. The inside of the tank is clean, there is decent looking oil in the motor and it isn't seized. The first pic is barn fresh. The second pic is after a little simple green and elbow grease applied to the tank chrome and left muffler. Fingers Crossed.
Steve
CB77 Barn Fresh.jpg

CB77 after minor cleaning.jpg
Unread 10-26-2014, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Wow, really cool Hawk - why doesn't anybody drop vintage Super Hawks in my driveway? It's just not fair! Nice bike - when will you learn the rest of the story?
Unread 10-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Default Got My Answer about the Super Hawk

Hi BTL
I'm enjoying putting the Proficient Motorcycling book into practice, especially by trying to cut the perfect (safest) corner.
My son and I went over to Jim's this afternoon. Jim said he got a real kick out of dropping that bike off at my house. He did it last Thursday and I didn't even notice it until Saturday evening.
He is happy to give me the Hawk in trade for refurbing his Scrambler I will clean and polish it, but not paint it. I will get all of the mechanical and electrical systems working correctly. The second Scrambler is to use any parts off of if needed. Here is a pic of the three bikes together and a pic of the inside of the Super Hawk tank.
Scramblers and Superhawk.jpg

Inside of CB77 Tank.jpg
Unread 10-27-2014, 04:42 AM

Very nice...pipes don't look too bad either.Due to the high bars I'd say likely a 66 or later. Awesome and a keeper....double check the cast Al foot peg brackets for cracks.. these are difficult pieces to get.
Well done!
Unread 10-29-2014, 01:44 PM

Thank You Spokes for helping me take on this project with clear expectations which have been agreed to by me and Jim.
It's very interesting to me to compare the Scrambler and the Super Hawk side by side. The Scrambler seems to be a bigger bike. It has a higher seating position and the foot pegs are set several inches further forward than the Hawks. And of course, the Scrambler has the down tube. It makes me wonder just how fragile Honda felt the Hawks frame is. I am every excited about working on the Hawk, it only shows 4,000 miles. But, I can't even touch it until the Scrambler is done.
Unread 10-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Actually the Superhawk used the engine as a stressed frame member and in theory should be stiffer than the single downtube. Any of those bikes are saveable and you should have some nice gems when all is said and done.
Unread 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info Larz
The bike I will be refurbishing for Jimmy needs the most work. But, it was his first motorcycle and he's had it since the late 60's. He even wants me to leave that wild two toned tuck and roll seat on it because that was the seat that was on it when got it. I think it will nice for him to have his first motorcycle back in good running condition. Just like he remembers from 40 years ago. I am determined to do a good job for him. I really enjoy working on these old Hondas.
Unread 10-30-2014, 08:02 AM

It's all about the nostalgia and then seeing the smiles you can create and the happiness you bring!