FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-27-2017, 06:07 AM

Default Rum-rum

Nice to here things are gettin back on track. It's been a few months since I've been on the site as well. it's nice to see all the emails from your bikin buddies. While you were gone I managed to find myself a 67 305 Honda original condition,had not run for 40 years.with minor cleaning got it purring like a kitten.it sounds like a Harley I use to have.hope all is good Sam.rob from canada
Unread 09-27-2017, 07:24 AM

I hope it don't sound like a Harley Rob, hahahaha. nice to know you're still around.
Unread 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum-rum View Post
Nice to here things are gettin back on track. It's been a few months since I've been on the site as well. it's nice to see all the emails from your bikin buddies. While you were gone I managed to find myself a 67 305 Honda original condition,had not run for 40 years.with minor cleaning got it purring like a kitten.it sounds like a Harley I use to have.hope all is good Sam.rob from canada
Rum-rum, back in April a '66 Honda CL77 Scrambler 305 followed me home. (at least that's what I told my wife).

It's all apart now, and the vibrant blue painted parts will be returned to their original light silver-gray. This has an original black frame (not red). Will be tearing the engine apart over the next few weeks. I just got the pipes and muffler back from being re-plated. The horribly re-covered seat will be discarded, and the odd mini ape-hanger bars have already been tossed, so I'll be going back to original with this project, with a few nice upgrades. Already bought the electronic ignition module, voltage regulator/rectifier, and new high output coils from Charlie's Place.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 09-27-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Unread 09-27-2017, 11:13 AM

A nice looking bike Kevin. A mate over here in England brought one back from the States a couple of years ago, spent some time on it and is winning prizes at shows with it, it's a real head turner.
Unread 09-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Hello Sam! I had thought about you for quite some time. I'm glad you posted an update. I kind of backed away from the forum due to a few people (not the usual group) reaching out for parts and advice. I got concerned after a nut case started contacting me every hour and removed my posts and albums.

I just finished my last CA160 and have acquired a 1970 C91 Suit Case Honda. If you not familiar with the term Suit Case Honda, back in the late 60's through the early 1980's a group in California made a business modifying small Honda's to be quickly disassembled and placed in small aircraft. My C91 is one of their earlier modifications.

Best wishes to you. Also best wishes to all of the usual members who made this forum the best.

Chip (aka Spokes)
Unread 09-29-2017, 06:36 AM

Hi Chip, great to see you are still here.
Was it you that moved home to South Carolina ?
Unread 09-29-2017, 08:00 AM

Nope. Still in Georgia until the 1st of 2020. Then I saddle up and move north for retirement.
Unread 09-29-2017, 08:24 AM

Oh yes, Sylvania, I just dug out your address. It can't be far from the South Carolina border.
You should have come to my last race in Valdosta in 2014, I had a few wins on the old Honda, they were my best ever showing.
Unread 09-29-2017, 04:34 PM

I regret no seeing you in Valdosta. Too much work, not enough life.

For your enjoyment, my latest project

The thin original seats hurt my bum, so I built a springer seat and mount assembly. Didn't like the CA160 tanks so I found a beat up 59-63 CA95 tank, removed the rust, repaired the bottom and installed a Harley petcock.

I improved my old turn signal mounts to hide the wiring in the handlebars.

The bike will be complete once I finish the custom mounted Buco Bags with LED running lights and turn signals. Oh, I have an additional rear fender rack to install.

Last edited by Spokes; 09-29-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: add pic
Unread 09-30-2017, 04:36 AM

Very nice Chip, it almost looks American, hahaha. Still nice though.
Unread 10-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks Sam. Unfortunately many forum players have gone dormant, including myself. This was a great forum with lots of great impute.

I wish you well Sam. I appreciate that you have chimed in to let us know your doing ok.

PM me and I will forward you my email address. I have a few friends like yourself from different countries. I take great pleasure hearing from them all, even though just a few times per year.

Best,

Chip

Last edited by Spokes; 10-01-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 10-01-2017, 05:10 PM

I sold the benly a while back. I never could figure out the headshake/wobbling I had going on. I think it was bearings. Anyway, I've bought some tube frame buell's and have been playing with those. I hope to get another vintage Honda in the future and I'm glad to know this group is still alive. I learned a lot here, and I appreciate all the help and input from everyone here.
Unread 10-04-2017, 05:06 PM

I sure had fun getting the 150 going again. I learned a lot about the Old Hondas with the help of my four wheel forum friends. Spokes rebuilt my switch for me, no charge. I'll never forget that. Thank You Chip!
I had a bad motorcycle accident a year ago last Spring. Broke my right arm into 5 pieces and crushed my shoulder so I've got a lot of titanium and a very patient Physical Therapist. But, after I finished the Benly I built this CB160 out of spare parts and restored this "barn find" CB77.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=zK4NjB98A-Q
here's a better video of the SuperHawk
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=bSGs4oRkiFs
I got the SuperHawk in trade for doing a refurbishment of a friends Scrambler that had last run back in the 70's. That was a mistake because i spent hundreds of hours getting his bike ridable again. Here is his Scrambler after i finished it.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=HqEvfVLFG8A
Shortly before my accident I got this 79 CBX and am doing a total nut and bolt resto on it. I'm getting back to where I can spend a couple hours in the shop at a time now and I'm really looking forward to the CBX project.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=SnN5k8BFZjI
I sure appreciate all the help I got here and you all got me started on a real nice retirement hobby.
For Now
Steve
Unread 10-06-2017, 04:47 AM

Rob and Steve, glad to see you are still about.
Sorry to hear of your accident though Steve but nice for the fact that you can still get into the shop to carry on your interest in the old bikes, I wish I was in the same position.

Sam.
Unread 10-06-2017, 06:31 PM

Steve, I have friends - the best of the best- in the CBX world. I don't own a CBX Myself but these guys restore them and build the engines: Bill Brint of Tims CBX in Cornelia, GA and Roger Twito (an execellent engine builder) in Bethpage, TN. They built my GPz 750 Turbo and are both great guys, I can put you in touch with either of your interested. Www.timscbx.com, I don't think Bill keeps the webpage up though.