FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Default More throttle questions

Current handlebars have no slot for the standard throttle. After ordering a new throttle cable that fits fine in the carb side I've now found that the thread on the handlebar side does not fit into the old throttle that is mounted on the handlebars. Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if there is an adapter that may work or if I should just find another throttle clamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2113.jpg (86.0 KB, 15 views)
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:00 PM

As a side note, the current throttle clamp is missing a start button, so this may be the best solution - I'd prefer to get rid of the 'pull start' button somone installed int he headlight housing anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1938.jpg (101.4 KB, 14 views)
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM

You have aftermarket "high rise bars". Unusual for a CA95. I will bet that the bars are "SAE" and of course the handlebar controls are metric.

I would guess that you could do do some careful grinding on the clamps to fit the bar. I see you also have a bolt where the throttle dampener should be and the wrong bolt in your front brake handle.

You can purchase a button and rewire the starter switch with an extra long wire and eliminate that "button" on the headlight bucket. Although it is a novel way of installing a starter button.
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:30 PM

No concerns yet about stopping since I can't go yet. Front brake cable is near siezed and almost useless anyway. As for the thottle clamp, it fits on the handlebars fine, but the threaded portion you see up against it will not thread into it. It is just slightly too big to thread into the existing threaded hole.

Not sure exactly what the bolt in the bottom of the clamp is - I can go look now - possibly more of a lockdown to the bar? Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the throttle cable securely threaded into the clamp - if I can without changing the clamp or looking for a new cable. As for purchasing a button, do you mean a separate one from the clamp that would bolt onto the bar?
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:34 PM

And as for the 'novel' description of the added start button, the jury's still out on that one. Should have at least been a momentary switch, but whomever installed it chose a hard on/off switch so I would assume you have to be pretty quick to make sure it's pushed back in as soon as it starts.
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Ok now I see.

Is there room to drill and tap new threads? That may just be your only option.

The bolt next to the cable elbow is just wrong. There is a straight screw slotted set screw that fits there with a locking nut. It presses against a spring inside to dampen the throttle.

I assumed that there is an empty hole in the throttle body/clamp. The starter button goes there.

I double assumed that an off/on switch was not being used as a starter switch... Capital DUH!
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM

I've been looking at the existing clamp and the threadeed area is so thin that I'm not sure there is room for a bigger hole. I'll keep looking at it to try to figure something out and possibly try my cable with some other throttle clamps - maybe a 70's honda style and see if the threads on this one are common or if this clamp is the exception. I'll post whatever I find. I do have a proper throttle and clamp with a start button for the internal type handlebars, but I'm not sure I want to go that route yet.