FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 06-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Default shifting issues/problems

Ok I have searched the site but cant find any thread that speaks to my issue. I rebuilt the motor on my ca95 had the head bored out, new pistions, rings, split the case just to clean it, and put it back togther. I have the motor mounted back on the bike and while sitting there pretending I was riding haha I went to shift and nothing happened. no clicks or clicks but the transmission was not engaging. I took the side covers off and and with the phillips screw driver truned the shifting cam. I can get it to go in to first but the shift pedal will not shift it into gear unless I help it along. now does the bike need to be running to shift it? also it seems kinda stiff and clunky when I can get it into first now I am worried I screwed something up when I had the case off. I remeber messing with the kick starter but did not really touch any of the other gears. thought I would post before take the motor back off the bike ugh...and split the case...
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:35 PM

It will shift gears with the bike off, It is quite possible that the shifting forks weren't set properly into position, or one of the 3 shift springs is not connected...were you able to shift gears before you split the case?
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Yeah the bike was running and shifted fine before I took
it apart ..
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Should it be able to make a 360?
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM

No fear. The tranny may or may not shift when the engine is not running. It depends on the random position of the gears. If the gears just happen to be lined up, you can shift. If by random the gears are not lined up, then you can't shift. You can however move the bike back and forth while in gear and shift into the next gear or neutral.

Try not to shift gears while the engine is not running. You can chip or break a tooth of a gear. Save judgement until you get a chance to shift while the engine is running. Chances are you don't have a problem.IMO
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
No fear. The tranny may or may not shift when the engine is not running. It depends on the random position of the gears. If the gears just happen to be lined up, you can shift. If by random the gears are not lined up, then you can't shift. You can however move the bike back and forth while in gear and shift into the next gear or neutral.

Try not to shift gears while the engine is not running. You can chip or break a tooth of a gear. Save judgement until you get a chance to shift while the engine is running. Chances are you don't have a problem.IMO
Is it okay to shift a bike into neutral while the bike is on, if we roll the bike a bit while doing so?
Unread 06-23-2012, 05:11 AM

Yes. We have to remember that these are old bikes. Back in the day I had a job driving a 1957 International Truck. I had to double clutch to shift. Something unheard of today. My point is that old mechanic's need old school thinking.
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes. We have to remember that these are old bikes. Back in the day I had a job driving a 1957 International Truck. I had to double clutch to shift. Something unheard of today. My point is that old mechanic's need old school thinking.
Sorry, I meant to ask if it was okay to shift into neutral when the bike was off - I don't know how I messed that one up...
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Yes again..taking the bike out of gear by rocking the bike is OK.
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yes again..taking the bike out of gear by rocking the bike is OK.
Thanks, good to know I haven't been breaking anything!
Unread 06-24-2012, 02:52 AM

Yeah my bike doesn't want to shift when the bike isn't running but rocking it will put it into/ out of gear. On another note, the bike doesn't want to shift to fourth unless it's going fast enough or downshift to first during a stop unless it's going slow enough.
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Okay thanks folks I will put the bike back together and get it running and see what happens
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:29 PM

i meant thanks spokes not folks....voice to text on the smartphone, its not perfect but conveinent
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:03 PM

i got thinking which is always trouble. while restoring this bike I converted it to twelve volt so the starter motor spins pretty fast. now just with starter motor on and the clutch in, it still wont shift...should i split the case or keep working to get it running? also does anyone know where this goes, found it in my bag of benly parts

Unread 06-27-2012, 01:05 AM

I suggest getting it going first, that way if there are any internal problems found after it is running, then you can address them when you go back in to fix the shifting issue. I'd hate for you to go back in fix the shifting; get it back together and running and find you have a bad valve seat and have to tear it all down again.