FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > 1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods

1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods Adaptronic, porting, air intake and more.

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Innovate LC-1 Wideband O2 Sensor

So my LC-1 has been working great for a few months even though I neglected to calibrate it ever. I haven't been driving the truck more than a couple times a week and I haven't exactly been putting the engine through any performance tests until the other weekend when I went to the Pismo Dunes with some friends. I didn't hammer on it hardly at all because I couldn't get any traction out in the sand with open diffs. The engine worked awesome and it was more than enough power. I'm really really happy with how the engine worked.

Then the other day I noticed the engine seemed like it was running a little rough and then it would smooth out. Then yesterday it ran rough and didn't smooth out so I just drove it home and thought to myself I would calibrate the Innovate LC-1 and see how that was working. I know the Adaptronic ECU wouldn't just all the sudden change the program to run crappy so I knew it was a sensor problem somewhere and the LC-1 is the first place to start. Not that it's known for being faulty but I knew in the back of my head that I hadn't calibrated it since I hooked it up and I needed to check it. Well it turns out that instead of getting a constant blink while warming and then a solid when it's at operating temp the LED would just flash twice with a second in between. Crap. So that's where I'm at now. That corresponds to an Innovate LC-1 Error 2 - faulty wires or the connectors isn't making contact properly. I checked everything and it's all like it should be. I reconnected the o2 and nothing changed. Then I noticed while reading a couple forums that the grounds are very important. So I reconnected and tightened the grounds. Same symptom.

I just emailed Innovate's tech support guys so we'll see what they say I should check next. I'm fearing that the sensor just died and that I'll have to buy a new one. Here is a video showing the Error 2 which is two flashes with a pause in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L6e_yfDF9k

Last edited by Smithers; 10-13-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Admin

Oh great. I just found a thread on the Innovate forum in which a customer explains this same problem and there hasn't been any resolution on the matter. Click here if you want to check on this Error 2 thread over at the Innovate forum.
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Admin

Well they didn't respond to my email quickly so I just called em up. I was told that since my grounds are good, wires are not damaged and connector is plugged in that my sensor is dead. So I'll be buying a new one and I'll report back if this solves the problem or not.

I did notice that once I connected my laptop and turned on the system that the LED started flashing regularly and I was hoping my problems were solved but that's just what it does when it's connected sometimes. The tech at Innovate also recommended that I make sure not to leave the ignition on without running the engine. I guess the o2 is sensitive enough that it can't be energized while not in use. Good to know. I can't remember leaving the ignition on for an extended period of time but I'm sure I did at one point or another while testing my Adaptronic computers functions. Live and learn!
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Admin

I thought I would post up some helpful links in case anyone is looking for more information on LC-1 components or installation guidelines. I'm not a big fan of how lackluster their installation manual is so these links will give you WAY more information and tips on the LC-1.

Unread 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Admin

I called Innovate and the guy on the phone said if the sensor isn't obviously damaged and the wires are good then it's surely a bad O2. I also asked him why my light was flashing the warmup sequence all the sudden when I connected my laptop to the unit. Then after a little while it went back to the error code. I was hoping it was fixed but then went back to the 2 blinks - and yes he said that when connected to the software that it blinks consistently.

So I called my friends at widebandsovernight and they gave me the link to that exact same product page for a new O2. I printed that out and took it to my local OReily store a mile from my house and had one in my hand instantly. Came back, hooked it up and it's up and running like it should.

But I have another problem... dumb Cometic head gasket lifted again on one side. What junk. Never buy Cometic unless you are consistently blowing factory MLS gaskets! It's a last resort. I bought mine and installed them incase I wanted to go forced induction down the road and here I am... this is the second time that those overpriced gaskets haven't held up. And I have perfectly machined heads and ARP hardware. Bah!
Unread 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Admin

Ok those crazy problems are all fixed and I even have mastered the LC-1. A lot of people throw them away or don't give them another chance but what you have to do is CALL Innovate and talk to their very knowledgeable tech guys. Of course when you call them they will ask if you have very very good grounds connected to the unit. Then they will ask you to double check your wiring to make absolutely sure it's done correctly and not broken or disconnected somewhere that you might not realize. The LC-1 is very finnicky unit. There are many many threads online in which people blast them and then an equal amount of people love them. Of course:
  • #1 Tip is for installers to wire them correctly. It takes a little brainwork but it's nothing you can't do. There are a few really good forum threads that hold your hand through the whole install.
  • #2 tip for users is to not let the unit sit there with the power on (engine not running) cause the O2 heater will burn it up.
  • And then golden tip #3 is the calibration. It's extremely crucial that you calibrate it correctly and the manual or online pdf/ instructions are very vague. I called Innovate up and they gave me a whole different set of steps to follow.

If you having problems or think that your's is bad don't throw yours away yet you could call them and they could tell you for sure if it's bad or not. After some teeth pulling mine works great... and I thought mine was bad too.