FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff

Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff Other motorcycle related stuff and some pictures.

Unread 12-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default How motorcycles used to be made

I love this video. It just shows guys bangin new frames and throwing engines together. I've really grown to like the Indian brand of bikes. Even the newer generation ones are pretty tough from the examples I've seen and ridden along side. I would have loved to be in the position to buy one of the last new models when they were selling them for half price out of their warehouse in Gilroy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nnVHXjJHIoo
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Great video, thanks for sharing it. It's amazing to see how the motorcycle manufacturers continued to hand-assemble machines 50 years after automobiles had adopted assembly lines for efficiency.

It reminds me of the videos of the BSA factory from roughly the same period, showing a very manual process. It's easy to see how Honda, with its modern casting technology and assembly line automation, was able to overtake the British.

BSA Factory Tour Part 1
BSA Factory Tour Part 2
BSA Factory Tour Part 3
BSA Factory Tour Part 4
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I can watch those all day long.

Just or general knowledge and conversation does everyone know that Polaris now owns the Indian Motorcycle brand? Polaris is doing quite a bit of diversifying and Indian Motorcycle is now owned by them. I do a good amount of business with the guys at the local Polaris dealership here in town as they work on anything and can get me parts for most anything that's not vintage. Anyhow they were telling me all sorts of info on Polaris and another good friend of mine says the stock has been doing very well. I'll be doing some more research on the company.
Unread 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Yep, Polaris now owns Indian. Polaris also owns Victory Motorcycles, so it'll be interesting to see how Polaris decides to market two "Harley alternative brands" in a crowded cruiser market. I think I read that Indian would be marketed at a price point above Victory. It'll be interesting to see if Polaris can make a sustainable business with Indian, and if there are enough buyers at that price point.

How many Indian Chief Vintage models will Polaris sell at $35,999? It's a nice looking bike, but for $36k I could buy 3 other new bikes that appeal to me more than an Indian.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 01-09-2013 at 02:01 AM.