FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Tools, Machines and Shop Toys

Unread 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Show me your coffee

I'm always curious of how people like their coffee in different ways. I always poke my head into people's kitchen to see if they have a machine or perk or whatever. It's just amazing that some people you wouldn't expect have a huge coffee operation going on in their home. So feel free to post a picture of how you do your coffee or just comment.

This is what I do when I'm in a hurry. Hit the button and makes coffee in one minute and I grab and run.

These machines are quite the toy. Nice because you don't have to buy a whole bag of coffee to try a flavor.

Unread 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM

My coffee pot broke so I'm using the one that was in the house when I bought it. I think it's older than dirt.

One of these days when I stop spending so much money on projects I want to get one of these thermal things so I can carry a supply of coffee around with me.
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Admin

I actually got my coffee machine thing from an estate sale for super cheap... I would never spend $100 on a coffee maker. My parents also had one of those Black & Decker coffee makers at our old house when I was a tiny kid. Wow that thing brings back some memories. I bet it still works great.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Admin

I picked up a pretty nice looking motorcycle coffee mug at the San Jose Vintage Motorcycle Show last month. Now that I think of it I got a shirt to but I haven't seen it lately...

Unread 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Admin

Look what I found today! I have recently dabbled in the art of the French Press. Now I have finally completed my collection of coffee makers by acquiring a moka coffee pot / espresso maker thing. I was at an estate sale and I found one of these tucked away in the corner. I threw it on top of the pile of things I was buying and I ended up paying around 2 bucks for this one.

Here is the pot after I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning:

And to prepare the maker you simple put the little strainer thing on the bottom half once you fill it up with water. Then fill up the basket with some grinds.

Last edited by Smithers; 10-23-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Admin

I haven't even seen one of these being used before but I could pretty much guess what to do at this point. The water isn't going to perk by just sitting there so I threw it on the fire.

After a little hissing and bubbling the espresso pumps up through the holes rather quickly filling up the top with some rather thick coffee / espresso. I'm sure I'll be able to vary the taste of the mix quite a bit by lessening the water and or mix of grinds. Very entertaining and it surely gives you a different taste in your cup compared to anything else you have in your kitchen. Good buy indeed.

I have some learning to do in the way of using one of these moka pots. I'll be reading some blogs to get caught up. Bleeding espresso.com seems to be a good starting point. It seems that the author has some experience with the Moka Pot and there are plenty of comments and tips below further down the webpage as well.

Last edited by Smithers; 10-23-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:13 AM

Default hi new to thread

you guys are definitely into coffee ey?

I was wondering if anyone involved was into black bombers? i saw the seat foul up and then nothing.
I live in Hawaii, which is virtually devoid of any classic, let alone cool hondas.(theres a few, step it guys!)
i just bought a 1966 cb450 KO black bomber off ebay. it arrived, i picked it up from the docks, cruzing on the freeway, some guy nearly took out a lexus, crossing three lanes, honking, wanting to buy the bike.
Hawaii has great weather but no resources for classic motorcycles.

God what a rant, any way-------- QUESTION.

Is the VIN number for these bikes the engine number or the frame number?
The Michigan title i received with the bike is from 1978 and lists the engine number as the vehicle identification number.

Any Info would be appreciated before i go up against the city and county of Honolulu for registration.

Last edited by Smithers; 10-26-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Admin

Coffee is good.

Unread 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Coffee is good indeed! I have two Keurig units, one at each house. I'm spoiled by these machines. My wife bought our first unit 2 years ago and we've been hooked since.

On occasion, I grind my own beans and put them in the unit below. Now that Starbucks coffee can be purchased in K-cups I might not need to do that anymore.
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM

I just tried a K-cup alternative and am quite pleased. Cameron's coffee now produces a K-cup alternative that fits Keurig machines (and compatibles). The cups are different than a K-cup, really just a plastic mesh hanging below a foil disc similar to the K-cup.

The Cameron's cups are shorter, so they don't puncture at the bottom like a regular K-cup, but they work well and the flavor has been quite good. One down side is that they don't fit in the K-cup racks, so I tend to keep these in the box until needed. I thought I'd give them a try out of curiosity, since they were a bit less costly.

My guess is that Cameron's worked really hard to avoid the licensing expenses related to the K-cup.
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:35 AM

Oahuian.... Actually I've seen some very nice vintage Hondas in Hawaii. Remember how much closer to Japan you are. I'd expect some JDM bikes as well as exports.
The frame number should be you ID for the bomber. Check the left side of the neck for a stamping. Bike titles often don't match the year of production. Engine numbers often are off by hundreds to the frame numbers.
@Ryan those little coffee containers remind me of the scam printer companies use on us. The hardware is cheap but feeding the damn thing is expensive. I'll have to stick to my Mountain Dew for my caffeine fix,never drank coffee.
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM

1928(ish) Hobart still in perfect working order. Probably has ground more coffee than Ryan cam drink in his lifetime. Weighs a ton. If anybody is interested I would part with it.... please....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hobart.jpg (160.7 KB, 2 views)
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Admin

I might just have a buyer for that beauty! :]

And yes Kev those Keurig machines are awesome. Here is a tip for ya. If you ever see anyone with a broken one they are throwing away... grab it! They fiercely stand behind those machines and they will send you a brand new one - once you go through their phone torture system on how they want you to troubleshoot the unit. I had one of the first ones and when it finally gave it up they sent me a brand new unit for free. I was shocked and all they asked for in return was for me to send the little plastic cup insert from the machine to them in the mail to prove that I owned one in the first place. I think the machine came to me while the part was being sent to them in the mail so they didn't wait for it to get to them. The new machine is half as loud and works a lot better than the first generation one. Makes me feel good knowing that they will simply send one out when it breaks.

Did you order the Cameron's coffee direct from them I assume?
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:26 AM

Yeah, the newer models use an impeller pump - a lot quieter than the older vibrating diaphragm pumps. I bet we've bought 5 of these things so far. We're on our 3rd Keurig between the two houses, and my wife has bought one for each of the children for their own homes.

I bought the Cameron's coffee on a grocery store shelf, so I'm assuming it's available everywhere.