FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 05-18-2010, 03:48 AM

5-18-10

I have ordered all of the componants for my custom turn signals. Looking forward, it's always good to do any custom wiring during re-assembly.

We have had rain the last few days, so too wet for painting. I took the front fender to my fab guy to weld shut some poorly drilled holes in the front fender.

I also coated the inside of the rear fender with a high zinc content primer. It will be reprimed with standard primer before a top coat of acrylic enamel. The underside of the frame and fenders will be painted first along with the battery holder and air filter/tool tray.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Drilled holes and temp. mounted the rear turn signals. I might mount them to the fender or install a fender trim from a CA95 and mount the lights to the trim. I don't know yet.
(picture here)

(picture here)

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Looking good! One thing I would do if I restored one of these frames is plate the underside of the fender with an inner liner of sheet metal. This would help immensely with frame fatigue in the rear section. You know... for hauling around your old lady or something.
Unread 05-29-2010, 08:42 AM

Time Stamp 5-29-10

Today is woodworking day, building paint stands. 99% of all of the prep has been done. Once stands are complete a second coat of 2 part primer will be sprayed. Also there are a couple of extra parts being finished.

1.) An extra front fender.
2.) An extra front fork

They will be primed but not painted the Candy color
(picture here)

Unread 05-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Time Stamp 5-30-10

2 months from the start of the Sixty Eight Project.

All repairs made. All metal returned back to clean and rust free.

It is hard to imagine all of the fine detail work that goes into a complete restoration. Much labor & small cost in the home shop.

This pic represents the all of the parts for a CA160 together. Primed and wet sanded once. The second prime coat will be applied and the wet sand step repeated. Then Color.

(picture here)

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Admin

Yes it takes up a lot of space. We all love to work out those details and body work though. I got a dose of that over the weekend doing plastic repair for my Aprilia. It's cool to see all the work come together as it actually goes quite quickly compared to a car or a truck restoration, that's for sure. Plus we get to see all the mechanics of the bike working properly together when we're done. Fun stuff!
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM

I have decided to take a break from painting and concentrate on rebuilding parts and preparing for assembly later this month. Below is a pic of the handlebars, controls, levers and front turn signals. The signals are just mounted and will be further custom installed once on the bike.

Both controls have been cleaned and lubricated with dielectric grease. The brake and clutch levers were sourced and slightly modified to fit. All of the aluminum casings have been polished. Footpeg clamps have been modified to become turn signal mounts and installed ready to go.

(picture here)

Unread 06-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Looks awesome!
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Admin

Yeah painting is a lot of work. You have to have your head clear to really take your time with all that prep work and to concentrate on all those curved surfaces when you are spraying.
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Time Stamp 6-5-10

Finished with the 2nd coat of primer and masked off the outside of the parts.
The pic below, while a bit dark, shows basically the color of the bike. The parts will remain the my dock box for a few days to cure. Then the rest of the bike will be painted and wet sanded several times to bring out a deep candy color.

(picture here)

Unread 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Looking great! Keep us updated as you know how we long for pictures!
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Time Stamp 6-6-10

The first coat of candy metallic red has been applied. This coat will be sanded to remove any defects. I expect to repaint at least two more times. The last coat will be the mac daddy coat.

Also included is a shot of the repaired front fender flare and a close up of the color.

Reassembly should start in two weeks.
(picture here)

(picture here)

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 06-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Are the previous pictures of the underside a darker shade or just in different lighting?
Unread 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Lighting for sure. The color will darken a bit overall by the 3rd coat. But the final finish will be deep and metallic. Next coat in 5 days. Then again after another 5 days. I let the finish cure completely between coats, wet sand and shoot again. It is ok to reshoot after 24 hrs but I like the results of slow and methodic paint job.

Red Candy Metallic is hard to paint. If I was a beginner or novice I would stick to solid colors and base coat clear coat systems.

This paint is old fashion acrylic enamel with a hardner package. The reducer is matched to the ambient temperature. This color on the 160 screams Sixties. It will be max retro.
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Here is a shot after the second heavy coat of candy apple red. Usually I do a third coat but this coat should be it. The pic does no justice to the color depth and metallic content.

Now to let the paint cure and work on the wiring and wait for tires....another story...phoey!

(picture here)

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:15 PM.