FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Default Fork Lock woes.

The fork lock on my bike does not work so I took it off and PB Blasted it. Still no workie. The number on it is the same as my ignition lock and the key works fine in it. I wondered if anyone has any ideas? I thought about having a locksmith pick the lock and resetting it to my key. Any other options?
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:25 PM

It is hard to say why the lock does not work. Assuming that there is no mechanical reason for the lock to be jammed.

1. Double check that the key matches the lock
2. Soak the lock in a warm phosphoric solution for 5-10 minutes (heat the water 1st and add the acid to water) This will eat up any rust. Rinse when done and lubricate.
3. Spray enough PB Blaster into a small jar or beaker deep enough to soak the whole unit for a day or two.
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Thanks!
1. Good
2 & 3. Acid may be a bit scary as the lock is in pretty good shape aesthetically but I'm now letting it soak in PB Blaster.
Also I found a new key on uPray with the correct code so I'll see if maybe the 45-yr old key that I already have may be just too worn for the lock.
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Soaked the lock and tried the eBay key with no luck but at least I have a spare ignition key. I may just take it to a locksmith.
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

The lock could be bent. Someone might have jumped on it and tried the handlebars not realizing it's locked. At that point you could tap the lock back but to move it again with the key would be very hard. Just a thought. Sounds like locksmith time.