FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Now this is a funny subject. I only post this stuff to help other people out who also like messing around with these little Hondas with the intention to ride them around again for the world to enjoy. The rear hubs on these bikes are a PAIN IN THE ASS. Take some notes on their assembly as you take them apart or look at my pictures I guess. They are not conventional in design! I didn't think anything of it when I removed my rear wheel for the installation of a new tube. Doing this operation will cause you some stress so hopefully these tips will prepare you.

Step 1 - Remove the mufflers and spray down the nuts and bolts with a lubricating solvent a few hours before you dedicate the time to work on it. Study where the spacers are located and how the bolts go through the swingarm on each side.

Step 2 - Remove the chain and put a rag around it and a rope (bungie) to hold it up near the passenger peg and out of the way. Do this in a fashion so that it still remains in line with the engine so that it doesn't fall off the front sprocket. This way you won't have to remove the cover to re-install it.

Step 3 - Prep ** I hope you have a bike stand, a few blocks to put under the center stand or a friend to help you lift the rear of the bike while you are trying to remove it out from under the huge rear fender. The fender does a great job of keeping you from getting the rear wheel out from under the motorcycle. You simply turn the axis of the wheel diagonally as you pull it out from it. **

Step 4 - Loosen things up and remove the axle. Realize that the sprocket and it's attached hub are a separate assembly (from the center wheel hub)and they are attached to the swingarm by themselves. It is such a pain in the butt to put all of this back together at once. Like I said: You definitely need the bike elevated in the rear and you will want to roll the rear tire and hub diagonally up under the fender when it is all going back together.

I think Mr. Honda really over engineering the rear wheel assembly. It is a lot more complicated than it needs to be on this model. It takes more time to service and it's stronger than needed. To clear this up the sprocket and left hub (hub only no wheel) actually attaches to the left swingarm with a nut. For demonstration sake this can be done without the center hub and wheel itself. Just like a "full-floating" automotive axle isolates all the outer force from the wheel on a main bearing near the outer edge of the axle instead of the inside or center of the axle - this CA95 left sprocket hub "floats" on a separate bearing assembly that takes a LOT of load away from the rubber isolator which takes enough abuse from smoothing out the chain/engine vibration. This designs also acts to make the rear of the bike more rigid and evenly distributes the weight between the swingarm.

Longevity of the rubber components is very important in the earlier years as the synthetics back in those days weren't near as durable under load as they are today. Pretty interesting stuff but it is overkill and definitely allowed this model to last much longer and be more durable than you would expect. Bearings also weren't near as strong back then as they are today. This is why the starters go bad! The starter shafts apply so much torque on the bearings during startup that they bearing just cannot take the abuse over years of use. For a full breakdown on Honda motorcycle starters look no further. I will be displaying a Honda starter rebuild "how-to" here on this link.
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

A picture of the other side of the CA95 wheel.

If I didn't have a spare Honda Benly 150 I would have been up a creek. The one you see here had a completely worn out adjuster. In the previous owners frustration he welded some other big nut to the home-made adjuster and tried to make it work. It was pathetic and I didn't know how bad it really was until I removed it. I had no idea how it was SUPPOSED to be until I looked at my spare motorcycle.

This baby sure saved my butt!

Here you can see that this bike is all original, unmolested! Thank goodness it found me. I plan on restoring the chaingaurd and installing it later on. For now I spent all my energy on perfecting the engine rebuild and I'll get it in perfect running shape. It will be ridden around town for show and tell and later on someday I will have time to really get down to business on the frame and wheels. For now they look fine, they are greased and will work like new.