FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Default New Member. New CA95 owner

1966 CA95 Benly. 1965 VIN#'s. Replaced air cleaner & boot,clutch cable, throttle cable, mirrors (helicoiled hole for RH mirror),chain cover & rubber plug, & chain inspection plug. Used a carburetor rebuild kit on it.
Runs good. Paid too much for it I guess. I would like to put the Coker WWW tires on it when they are restocked. Wishing that they would make original repros in the style of my front tire.
Other than that it looks like everyone else's I suppose...
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Very nice bike, and welcome to the forum. If the bike is something you enjoy, you didn't pay too much for it. The Benlys are starting to get noticed by the collectors, too. When I do a restoration, I tend to put more $ into the project than the finished product is worth, but since I keep the bikes, it's no issue.
Unread 11-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Nice bike and welcome to the Forum. Lots of excellent tips and tricks to be found
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks! I've already got a lot of info on this site. The parts diagram was a Godsend. Thankfully I received part of a owners manual with the bike which helped getting things such as the valves and points adjusted.
Has anyone tried the Port-O-Walls on their bike? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-C92-CA...ht_3322wt_1110
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Thanks! I've already got a lot of info on this site. The parts diagram was a Godsend. Thankfully I received part of a owners manual with the bike which helped getting things such as the valves and points adjusted.
Has anyone tried the Port-O-Walls on their bike? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-C92-CA...ht_3322wt_1110
I think KellieLyne has tried the Port-o-Walls. Her Flicker gallery is here. She might have some advice on the Port-o-Walls. I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I've not done any real research on them.
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Not that the bike is fast or anything but I might think twice about portawalls if they can possibly come off at speed. Not cool.
Here's a pic of the day I brought the bike home in my Honda Element.
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Smile

Hey ! nice find and it's great that you have it in running order .
Don't look for Coker to make any whitewalls , I've had a standing order with them for 4 sets for almost 2 years now . I call and check with them every few months and they say they just don't have enough request to order a run of tires .
On one of my CA95's I installed a set of portawalls purchased from Moon Equipment in California . Moon has these available specific to motorcycles and while they do look nice there a pain in butt to keep in place . They slip fit between the rim and the tire bead and mine tend to slip , move , squirm , whatever and then they pucker away from the tire . Depressuring the tire and working the portawall back in place takes care of it for a short while .
Don't know it it's a specific problem with my tires or rims or both or just the portawall itself .
I've also tried Ranger whitewall tire paint with a really bad result . Half hour to prep and paint the tire and three hours to peal and scrape the paint off .
Unread 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
Hey ! nice find and it's great that you have it in running order .
Don't look for Coker to make any whitewalls , I've had a standing order with them for 4 sets for almost 2 years now . I call and check with them every few months and they say they just don't have enough request to order a run of tires .
On one of my CA95's I installed a set of portawalls purchased from Moon Equipment in California . Moon has these available specific to motorcycles and while they do look nice there a pain in butt to keep in place . They slip fit between the rim and the tire bead and mine tend to slip , move , squirm , whatever and then they pucker away from the tire . Depressuring the tire and working the portawall back in place takes care of it for a short while .
Don't know it it's a specific problem with my tires or rims or both or just the portawall itself .
I've also tried Ranger whitewall tire paint with a really bad result . Half hour to prep and paint the tire and three hours to peal and scrape the paint off .
Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on ordering the Coker tires, but based on what you've shared with us, I'm wondering if that would be fruitless.

I've never considered Port-o-Walls, and those who've tried them seem to share more negatives than positives. KellieLyne, any thoughts?

Standard blackwall tires are inexpensive and easy to find, but these bikes really shine when they have those wide whitewalls.
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:02 PM

I've read the ranger tire paint is just paint that company re-brands with their own label and re-sells at a huge profit. I've found out from the paint on your own whitewall community, that an oil based external use white paint from the company Killz is the best thing going if you're thinking of going the paint em on route.

I thought of using portawall inserts myself and have heard many mixed reviews depending on the maker, the price seems a bit steep for something that might just end up unusable, and more trouble than they are worth. I did hear that Firestone was planning another run February on the white wall tire that fits the CA95 and CA77 and others a few months ago...how accurate that source was is a wait to be seen though.
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:44 PM

That would be nice if Firestone or Coker made another run of WWW tires. I guess there is no hurry for me at this point but Coker says Dec they should get some more in. We'll see.
I saw another complete CA95 for sale for short money not too far away. I wonder what a Kiwi Green (Honda Element color) CA95 would look like with all the chrome, gangster walls, and a buckskin solo seat - Hmmm...

Last edited by Grunt; 11-20-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM

I have portawalls on my bike. So far they have stayed in place, but that MIGHT have something to do with me not being able to get the damn thing running!!!!! But they sure LOOK pretty lol! Once I work out my kinks and get it on the road I will definitely update you on the reliability of them. Sorry I couldn't be more help. We have had a tough time getting the beast to run. I recently talked to a 305 expert from the 305 forum, and he gave me some good places to start with tracking down the problem. So hopefully soon I will be able to update this thread on the portawalls. If they are crap, I will just remove them. I bought some off of ebay, and man those were CRAP!!!!! The ones that I have on my bike I got from Universal Tire, those are MUCH BETTER QUALITY.
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM

okay so I have a friend who has the same portawalls on her 305 Dream, and I sent her a message asking how she likes them since she has now had them on for a few months. (throughout the summer). Here's what she had to say.

"your bike is great. i like the white. we have had the bike up to 60-65 steady and no problems at all with the sidewalls. looks like you have yours on nice and flat. they should do great for you. time to get that thing on the road. we just took mine to a show, lol beat out a harley. was fun. enjoy your ride and keep in touch, j"

So, until mine is roaring to go, that's the best I can do on the reliability of the portawalls. We both purchased our portawalls from universal tire, and we are both running Kenda tires.
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Wink

Just a reminder Firestone doesn't make whitewall motorcycle tire . Coker has the Firestone mold and Coker makes the tire .
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Gotcha. I was just using the Firestone name for clarity as to which tire I was looking at.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Very nice red Honda... and the red still looks great. You have two very nice rare parts on that CA95: a good front fender and the chain guard assembly! Original seat it looks like too and the original style front tire. Reminds me of my CA160. Nice one.