FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

NOw that's more like it!
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Default Finished engine

Well i'm almost finished with the engine. I tried reading the manual to put it all back together, but got a little confused so I just put it all together as best I could. I made sure the rings were offset, and the little oil rings were in. I have the cam chain alligned as the book says but I dont know how tight or how much slack you want on the chain. I also dont know 100% that I put that chain roller in correct. I dont think it matters because it looked the same either way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0175.jpg (100.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0176.jpg (110.8 KB, 5 views)
Unread 10-05-2011, 05:17 AM

Default update

Well I finally got it mounted and it fired up on the first crank. I didnt run it long because the idle was really high and as soon as i tried to adjust it, it would die. I guess I will have to keep adjusting it until it run normal. There is one concern I have, there is burned oil leaking from the bottom of the exhaust right were it attaches to the bottom of the head. I put that metal gasket up in there but there is still a little play when it is snugged up. I also noticed on the image attached a part (#1) but it is not listed in the inventory. I dont know if the oil out of the bottom is something to worry about, or if it is normal because the seal is not tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler.jpg (60.3 KB, 3 views)
Unread 10-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Default running

So if anybody is looking through this, i finally got it running, and very nicely... thanks to Will and Ryan. I found i didnt have the head and cylinder tight enough. I dont have a torqu wrench and worried of stripping things out. After removing the cylinder and head, inspecting that all seals and parts were correct, i re-assembled and then had to re-adjust the throttle cable but it fired right up and runs great! its been a good learning expeirance and now got to go to work on the rest.
Unread 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM

Default body work

Well I took the engine off and stripped the bike down. sanded the tank down to bare metal and appled some bondo to some small dents that i could'nt pop out. I had car quest read the paint and I have it on file for restoration purposes, but I think I am going to change it up on the colors, the paint alone for the gas tank was $120.00 but that included clear coat..: ( not going to do it, so i think I am going to teach myself how to paint..
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Admin

I'm back in town now. Looks really good. I've been hanging around a certain body shop a LOT in the last year and have learned the business up and down. I say just paint it yourself. There are SO many instructional websites and videos on Youtube now! You shouldn't have any problems. All the info on how to do it is online and easily available. I just painted the underside of a hood of a truck I have today and it's going on the truck tomorrow. It's amazing how fast the body shop guys do it because they do it day and day out. The fuel tank is a little tricky because of all the curves. I recommend making brackets for the tank mount holes and hanging it up like a turkey on a rotisserie. I've seen pros do this.
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:41 AM

Ok, I was trying to figure out how i was going to do the tank. I stripped the frame down to metal because all of the chips in the paint, i just figured if im going to go through all this work, i may as well do it right. I found a nice bright red that im painting it, and silver for the tank. I will post some pictures as it comes along. So I was wondering, the front forks are pretty haggered and one of the springs is about shot. I found a rebuilt kit with springs and seals for 30 plus s/h but the rods are pitted up pretty bad, i also found new forks for about 85 delivered. I would think if the fork rod is pitted up really bad, then they probably wouldnt work that well.
I also bought the spokes on ebay for $29, and they are very nice, my weels look brand new, i also ordered a new front tire from Dennis kirk for $16 and inner tube. They have the best prices for tires that I have found, and fast delivery.

https://www.denniskirk.com/michelin/...prd/541776.sku
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Admin

Those tires look great and people are really liking them. I'm sure they are far better than any period tires from when these bikes were in their prime! I found a really great forum thread in which the gents are talking all about installing them on their 175s and 200s. I'm going to order some as well. http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...hp?f=40&t=8153

Those prices seem pretty decent for those parts buddy. It will be very good knowing that you did the job right and your bike will be like new. No sense on saving 30 or 40 when you are doing such a good job on the frame and tank you know? I can't wait to see your progress.
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Well I finally got most all the parts i need so I tried my best at painting and now putting it back together. Hope to have a ride on it this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ipaint 2.jpg (149.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg paint1.jpg (145.9 KB, 7 views)
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM

hi it looks very nice...........can you tell me how many teeth are on your rear wheel sprocket?? it should be stamped on it?? i have looked on line & there are lots saying there the right one.. i want the right one for the most top end.. thanks will
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Admin

Looks great! Where did you get that tire? Bridgestone original? Did we go over this already? That's one bright red color there. Keep us updated.

Will - I'll go count my teeth on mine right now for ya: UPDATE mine is a 47 tooth.

Last edited by Smithers; 11-01-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Unread 11-01-2011, 04:03 PM

thanks for the info, Smithers, (UPDATE mine is a 47 tooth sprocket) i am going to have to use what i have for now, I have a 45 tooth rear sprocket.. i added pictures of my rims on my thread.. thanks will
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:07 AM

Hey Will,
49 teeth, i counted twice. Mine is a 72'. Ryan, that back tire is an origanil (i think) it was on the bike, but it was never used, it looks nnew after i cleaned it up. I got the front one from dennis kirk tires for $17, and re-spoked them as well.
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:13 AM

I was going to re paint with original color, but the tank alone was $120 for the paint, so i decided to just paint it red with a silver tank.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:41 AM

i can't wait too see more, you sure did a nice job on it all & polished parts look like chrome..