FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Dodge 2500 Diesel Talk

Unread 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Dodge Diesel Info

I just turned 350,000 miles on my Dodge 2500 6.9L diesel so I can't help think about doing some maintenance on her to celebrate.

Just reading up on Cummins 6BT diesel tech while figuring out what I should do with my truck next. A lot of people have suggested filing down the fuel plate for easy power. I'm thinking the fuel plate mod and some new injectors would be a good step in reliability and performance. I have to assume that injectors aren't as efficient as they once were and new ones aren't too much money. I'll be looking around for fuel plate templates to modify mine as well as a good deal on some new injectors. I'm going against larger injectors for the moment as I need to research into the capabilities of the stock size units. Diesel Power Magazine also has a GREAT section on zero-dollar mods for the 6BT project trucks they are working on so I'll be following what they have suggested as well. I'll be listing different mods here that I have done and also ones I want to do with some comments and my thoughts.

To start here is my inspiration and also a very good source of information on anything diesel. Diesel Power Magazine's Tech Section rocks.
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Admin

If you haven't seen this build of a Suburban with a 5.9 Cummins you are missing out (if you are into diesels and crazy trucks that is). They built this truck to be bulletproof and the go-to vehicle in case of apocalypse.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/c...uburban_v2500/

Understanding diesel basics with this article and also there are TONS of informational videos on Youtube.

Making your diesel truck worth more. Ten things you can do to make your truck better. I've done a few of these but the ones that cost more are still on my list.
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Admin

I hope I'm not jinxing myself here. And article explaining some reasons why headgaskets fail. And to follow this up an article I want to post here for reference in case my engine punches out and needs a rebuild. If I had a big enough shop I would be tearing my engine apart right now.

Why head gaskets fails

The right way to fix a head gasket Cummins

5.9L engine million mile rebuild

Cummins fatal flaws? Apparently so.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-09-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Admin

And I can't help think about my transmission. It works well in my truck but I wish I could control the shift points better. I also wish I could afford a Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive kit. I didn't realize how expensive they were.

Performance 4spd Transmission Build

Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive Unit

BD Exhaust Brake Upgrade
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Admin

I did upgrade my headlights and I could easily test and see that the bulbs weren't getting a full 12V from the stock electrical system. Wiring relays for the headlights wasn't too tough as it just takes some electrical tools and some know-how.

I did do the spray in bedliner and I learned a lot from the process. I also learned that if you want a GOOD and strong bedliner that you should leave it up to the pros. You can spray it yourself but it won't be near as thick. Also having to buy TWO kits worth of spray materials costs as much as paying someone to spray your bed anyways! You will never get enough material in a single spray-kit to cover an 8ft bed as good as you want it to. Unless you are just spraying the bed for corrosion resistance and color you will be MUCH better off paying a pro to spray it.. which typically costs 400-450. Well worth it trust me. I got lucky spraying mine but I did it in a professional paint shop. It wasn't as thick as i wanted but I don't throw tools in my truck everyday so I can get by with some scratches here and there.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...ruck_bedliner/
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Admin

A good article on 10 tools you should have in your garage tool collection. I have every one covered except the 1/2" drive cordless impact. I can go without the luxury of such a tool. I have an air IR impact that works 10 times better.

And general knowledge on what you should do if you put gasoline in your diesel. This happens more than you think! I know a lot of shop owners and they deal with this all the time. My friends shop here had a celebrity come in last week because she filled her Sprinter van up with gas... all the way, hehe. And I once stopped a woman from filling her Toyota minivan up with diesel before it was too late. I saw her putting diesel in her van and thought, "wow that's a RARE vehicle right there... kinda strange." Then I jumped in front of her and told her to STOP NOW! LOL because there was no way a soccer mom is driving a prototype Toyota vehicle hehehe.