FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Technology & Electronics

Unread 01-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I was pretty surprised that no one has posted any pictures on the net of their JVC KV-PX9 GPS. The BN in the part number refers to the color of the plastic. The silver one has different letters at the end. The most helpful reviews of the JVC GPS can be found on http://www.crutchfield.com/. Other than that the reviews I saw did not impress me and were negative overall. I think this mainly is to blame on people inexperience with GPS systems.

When I opened the box I was pretty happy to see how small it actually is. This is a good thing since it's going to be stuck to the glass and in your face. As long as you have decent eye sight then you will be fine with the screen size and resolution. All the GPS units under $500 have 3in x3in screens. I think 4-5in would be perfect but it's just not worth it unless you are traveling a lot. Then you might as well buy a cd/dvd player with GPS built in like the Eclipse models.

First are the dimensions:

The JVC eAvinu snaps on and off of the base very quickly:
Unread 01-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Admin

Well that's it for now. I have a lot more pictures ready but to write some descriptions will take a little time. I'll add more within the next day or two. Check back soon for the pix of 3d map views, night mode, video, music, menus, options, how to enter in points of interest (POI), and entering in info with the touchscreen. Everything has worked perfect and this JVC GPS is the best bang for the buck (I paid $225 and $15 for shipping) I've seen ever. More soon.

I know a lot of people will have found this looking for reviews on this JVC "EXAD" KV-PX9B so I just want to get the basic pictures up of what this unit actually looks like! Here is a picture of the JVC gps mounted to the windshield of my Acura. Mmmm Acura cake! Ok who has money for gas?

This is with the unit switched to night mode which changes the colors to darker ones. This is a MUST on any GPS or you will be blinded by the bright light. In both day and night mode you can adjust the brightness very easily and it goes from dark to nice and bright. The screen is not glossy so glare is kept to a minimum as well.

Here is a link to the JVC homepage for this GPS. http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?productI...0002&pathId=131

To get to the support page for their updated software downloads you need to go through their support link at http://www.jvc.com/support/index.jsp then click on the appropriate link.
Unread 05-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Admin

Uh oh, looks like JVC gave up on the GPS market. Seems that they pulled the plug on selling portable GPS units since people weren't paying $700 retail for them. That's why they've been selling for $300... just to get rid of their inventory. I'm sure that they still made money on them.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/18/jvc-exi...w-they-were-in/

More info in the Engadget article.